MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Fresh Install - 500 Internal Server Error (SOLUTION)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
FORTUNATELY, I kept my old folder on fresh install. If I had not, I would not have known the permissions to use.

All files in ROOT of install (not folders):
PERMISSIONS: 644

/uploads & /cache folders:
PERMISSIONS: 777

All the rest of the folders in ROOT:
PERMISSIONS: 755

/uploads/avatars & /cache/themes folders:
PERMISSIONS: 777

All files in /install (not folders):
PERMISSIONS: 644

/install/resources & /install/images folders:
PERMISSIONS: 755

Solved the issue. WAS NOT A PROBLEM WITH SERVER.

Hope this helps you. IGNORE install instructions telling you to 666 and 777 folders and files. only 644 and 755 where it told you to do that.
The actual permissions depend on the web server user and group membership. Permission 777 should be avoided.
UPDATE:

Turns out all the permissions were a disaster. And turns out I figured out the real solution.

Apparently you CANNOT upload the full .zip file for mybb into your server and extract via cpanel. If you do, it will screw up all your permissions.

Delete it all and now go upload the files over ftp (the FILES not the zip file). Open the zip on your computer and drag all the files over to FTP onto your server.

When you do it this way, all the permissions will be correct.

Very annoying. But solved.
basically, for internal server error [500] one has to look at latest entries of server error log available at web host control panel.