MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Something wrong with permissions or cookies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I am new to MyBB (and any type of forum software). I have just installed the product and it seems to be working for the most part. But I have one problem. No matter what I do, it won't remember that I am logged in. So, even though I do log in, and it recognizes me, as soon as I click to another page (say, to write a post), it asks me to log in again. It does this over and over. I am thinking that it has something to do with either permissions of files on the server or cookies on my computer.

On permissions, I went through and changed the permissions exactly as in the installation instructions. I have also gone back and confirmed that they are still set correctly.

On cookies, I went into the security tab of IE7 and listed my domain as one from which to accept all cookies, then I went into Zone Alarm and added the domain, giving it permissions for all types of cookies.

Another reason I think it may be on the server end is that I do not have the same problem here on this site.

Can anyone point me in the right direction about how to fix this? Thanks!
Check that your cookie settings are right: [Wiki: Cookies] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
Tikitiki Wrote:Check that your cookie settings are right: [Wiki: Cookies] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)

Well, I thought you had it there because, when I checked that, it turned out that I should have had my cookie domain and path set to .mydomain.org and /forum/ instead of the default . and /. I figured that would sort it right out.

But it didn't. In fact, making those changes seemed to have no effect. The weird thing is that it recognizes me when I first go to the board and I'm auto-logged on. But as soon as I hit the link to the forum (only one on the board), it asks me to log in again. If I do, it's successful, but as soon as I ask it to let me post a message, it asks me to log in again. If I do, it's successful again, but when I complete and submit the test message, it asks me to log in again and it fails to post the message (even if I do log in again).

Also, I have now heard from one of my users that it doesn't keep him logged in. It occurs to me that I followed the permissions instructions making some files and directories 777 and others 666. Should I maybe go back and make the whole site 777? It seems like that would leave it open for abuse.

I really appreciate the first suggestion, Tikitiki. Can anyone think of anything else I can try?
After altering your cookie settings, please make sure and remove all old cookies for your forum before logging in again.
MrDoom Wrote:After altering your cookie settings, please make sure and remove all old cookies for your forum before logging in again.

Thanks, can you tell me where in the forum those cookies are stored? I looked all through the forum with my FTP client and didn't see any names that looked like what was listed in the Wiki entry for cookie names. As far as I can see, the Wiki entry says the cookie names, but not where they are stored. I also looked on my local computer and only found one cookie. I deleted it, but the behaviour of the board didn't change.
I mean the cookies that are stored by your webbrowser, how you clear them depends on your browser.
MrDoom Wrote:I mean the cookies that are stored by your webbrowser, how you clear them depends on your browser.

Thanks. Unfortunately, that didn't do it. I not only cleared out my cookies from IE and tried again (with same result) but I also tried it for the first time via Firefox. It behaved the same way. Whatever this is, it's on the server side but I just can't figure out where to look.
Can you provide a link?
Well sometimes if you go to http://yourforum.com and your board URL is http://www.yourforum.com, when you log in, it will take you back to the page without the www. But if you edit the URL and add in the www., it should work and pick up the cookie.
Tikitiki Wrote:Can you provide a link?

Tikitiki... sure, the link is http://www.conservationeconomics.org/forum/

I only had a single forum before that was restricted to registered users, but I have added another called Test Forum that I have set permissions for to allow full access to guests. Interestingly, I see exactly the same behavior, with it saying I don't have permission to enter and asking me to login, even though I told it that no one needs permission. I'm sure, in the end, this is going to turn out to be a little permission issue, but I've looked and looked and can't seem to find anything that I know of that is wrong. But I'm so new at this, it would be obvious and I might still miss it.

Dishin... that was a good idea, thanks! Unfortunately, that all turned out to be consistent when I went back just now and checked it. That is, my board URL has the www (as above) and so does my browser.
Pages: 1 2