MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I recover my posts? I truncated the posts.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I truncated the posts for my forum in MyPhpAdmin and now i can see that the threads are gone. I can still see the thread titles on the forum but i get this message "The specified thread does not exist."

how can i recover from this? i want those posts back.
First at all is not recomended to use phpmyadmin if you do not know what you are doing.

You have deleted all your contents so only if you have a backup some info mudt be recovered, otherwise all info is going to be missed.

Next time do not touch your database if you do not have maded a backup before start changing any info.
(2017-08-29, 11:42 PM)Whiteneo Wrote: [ -> ]First at all is not recomended to use phpmyadmin if you do not know what you are doing.

You have deleted all your contents so only if you have a backup some info mudt be recovered, otherwise all info is going to be missed.

Next time do not touch your database if you do not have maded a backup before start changing any info.

can i use a recovery tool on the server? what if i reinstall mybb forum software?
if you have recovery tool you can use it to restore all your forums.

Reinstall must delete all entire forum contents.

Use the host recovery tool to a point before truncate post table.

Then review your forums and have to work.

And try to get some backup in your computer before changing data.
(2017-08-30, 01:16 AM)Whiteneo Wrote: [ -> ]if you have recovery tool you can use it to restore all your forums.

Reinstall must delete all entire forum contents.

Use the host recovery tool to a point before truncate post table.

Then review your forums and have to work.

And try to get some backup in your computer before changing data.

I have cPanel & WHM - what i should i do?

I also have a .tar.gz database back up from 2 months ago, so, if worst case scenario, i can restore that one.

I am trying to restore todays backup just before truncate post table. i can use last weeks database.
Truncate is a one way command, there's no return, man I hope this guy has been running daily backups.

[Image: PPAprka.jpg]
^^^ Truncate Before and After ^^^
(2017-08-30, 03:16 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]Truncate is a one way command, there's no return, man I hope this guy has been running daily backups.

Daily backups? You only really need to run daily backups if things change that often (IE: You're getting new posts every day/changing things) - otherwise, it's just redundant.
Use the recovery tool from your host first of all. J seen you mentioned a backup which is over 2 months old. I recommend you think this through. If you lost a small amount of content forget about it if you'd loose more switching to an old database. If you've had 0 new posts then go for the backup. However as I said think about the content you would loose - members and posts.

Also in future have either daily or weekly backups in place.
Any sort of data recovery software is gonna require raw physical access to the physical host. Since you have Cpanel, I feel like this is some sort of shared hosting environment.

In that case, your only hope is your hosting provider doing backups for you. If they don't have any backups, you are gonna have to restore your backed up DB.

That being said, if you only truncated your posts table, you can leave the rest alone and just restore the posts table from backups. That way your user accounts still exist, just their recent posts are gone.