MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: semi-noob to myBB - Lots of questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys,

I was a member here last year sometime, I forgot my screen name so I signed up for a new account. Anywho, I ran mybb on one of my forums for a few months before I switched to vBulletin. Now, I've started a new forum with a second vB license, but it's only a leased license and going to expire in a few months. I'd rather convert now then wait until I build a user base and then swap out or worse have to pay for any other vB license. Rolleyes

I have a few questions, I've gotten used to the "vb way" of doing things. I'm looking to adapt my knowledge of vB over to myBB. For now my questions are about templates:

Do templates change with incremental upgrades, Say 1.2.8 to 1.2.9? vB's often do and it's very annoying -- I cannot tell you how many times I've had to recode a template by hand due to an upgrade. Sad

Second, if there's a problem with a template with the system alert me? If code is changed between versions is there a notice of out of date templates in the ACP?

That's it for now, I'm hoping to get permission to port a couple of awesome vB themes. If one isn't already compiled, I hope to have the extra time to write up a CSS class comparison between the two.

Thanks,
Dan
First of all, yes. In the MyBB 1.2.8 to 1.2.9 upgrade, you have to go in manually and edited 3 templates most of the time. But the code isn't much and you shouldn't have to worry. Search around for the topic and I'm sure you'll find it. If not, I'm here to help.

Second of all, when you run /install/upgrade.php, you are shown how many templates have been updated to this newer version of MyBB. I've been here since 1.2.2 and I think the only changes in templates that are big enough to have caused many many many topics, is just the 1.2.8 to 1.2.9 upgrade.

Does that help you at all?

EDIT: Here's the link to the topic if you are upgrading from 1.2.8 to 1.2.9. http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=20519
There are no template changes between version 1.2.8 and 1.2.9. There were some template changes between 1.2.7 and 1.2.8.
What about having to go back in and edit the session id in 3 different templates?
Session id was added in 1.2.8, if you had to add it after upgrading to 1.2.9 then you had upgraded from a version pre-1.2.8.
Ah, I see. Well I wasn't totally wrong. I was just 1 version off.
Templates may need to be changed for maintenance releases, and almost always for major releases. If you are using a custom theme, you can see the "difference" between the new master template and your custom template so that you can make the changes accordingly.
Thanks, that's easy enough similar to vBulletin.