MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Odd Error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2018-06-15, 01:43 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-15, 11:24 AM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]Simply put I still don’t believe this is a MyBB issue. I’d suggest trying to create a php.ini file in your root directly and override your server php.ini limits. Even then, it could be that the host above you (unless your a DC which I doubt) has set hard limits which filter down to your server. I’d suggest also checking your memory_limit in PHP as this can also affect larger uploads.

On another note, MyBB doesn’t hard-limit upload sizes, so yes, ultimately this is a hosting issue.

Edit: A quick test you can do is porting your files and database over to a different host temporarily and see if this issue still occurs.

At least someone is on a similar wavelength as I am regarding this issue. 

Unless there is some weird configuration that the original poster is using, it has to be related to the website host.

I do appreciate the input from people trying to help, but they are CLEARLY not reading the whole thread.
I have overrides in the .htaccess, as listed above. I have an additional php.ini in the home folder with the overrides as listed above.

The files DO upload to the server.  When I select update post, or post reply This  flags the error. The error that is presented is clearly not the actual error, since the empty post bug, also listed above flags the same error..

"On another note, MyBB doesn’t hard-limit upload sizes,"   <-- completely erroneous

Ok, I am really trying hard here, because I think there are a lot of people with this error.... But MYBB actually does hard limit uploads based on the attachments as outlined by the settings that laie_techie mentioned. Admin panel >> Attachments Saying it doesn't is not being helpful, I'm sorry.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as a DC, but I've been in the hosting business LONG before there was a MYBB. There is no "host" above me. I have a line provider That supplies link, but they have no access to my servers nor the config. We have several phpBB installs that have no issues on exactly the same VPS setups. I chose MyBB for my own reasons.

I understand that this is a volunteer group offering assistance based on their particular knowledge level of the software. I also understand that not everyone has the same setups for hosting and many people utilize shared hosts which further muddles the issue.

This was in fact the whole point of me posting in the first place. A user, asked for help and was told to "google it".

This was in the very first initial post on this thread. My post shows that there is an issue with the software, that no one seems ready to acknowledge except in reference to bug #3044 which this error seems to mirror. (https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3044)

I am not aware of a configuration which would allow a user to upload a file, insert a reference to the uploaded file to a post, then flag a size limitation only after the person selects "edit" or "update" to their post. Since the file has already been uploaded to the server without error, how is this a hosting issue?

If the file could not be uploaded then for sure it would be a php size limitation, or a limit on the users quota.
I have uploaded 1.7mb pdf, 6.7 mb pdf several times... and each time... after the file has been uploaded and is sitting on the server... when i update the post in the mybb software, I get a mybb error saying the file is too large.

Then I check the thread and the file is there... having been uploaded several times... in testing.

I will move the software to another vps, but I suspect the point is moot.

Thanks very much for your time.

(2018-06-15, 03:18 PM)v3_exceed Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-15, 01:43 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-15, 11:24 AM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]Simply put I still don’t believe this is a MyBB issue. I’d suggest trying to create a php.ini file in your root directly and override your server php.ini limits. Even then, it could be that the host above you (unless your a DC which I doubt) has set hard limits which filter down to your server. I’d suggest also checking your memory_limit in PHP as this can also affect larger uploads.

On another note, MyBB doesn’t hard-limit upload sizes, so yes, ultimately this is a hosting issue.

Edit: A quick test you can do is porting your files and database over to a different host temporarily and see if this issue still occurs.

At least someone is on a similar wavelength as I am regarding this issue. 

Unless there is some weird configuration that the original poster is using, it has to be related to the website host.

I do appreciate the input from people trying to help, but they are CLEARLY not reading the whole thread.
I have overrides in the .htaccess, as listed above. I have an additional php.ini in the home folder with the overrides as listed above.

The files DO upload to the server.  When I select update post, or post reply This  flags the error. The error that is presented is clearly not the actual error, since the empty post bug, also listed above flags the same error..

"On another note, MyBB doesn’t hard-limit upload sizes,"   <-- completely erroneous

Ok, I am really trying hard here, because I think there are a lot of people with this error.... But MYBB actually does hard limit uploads based on the attachments as outlined by the settings that laie_techie mentioned. Admin panel >> Attachments Saying it doesn't is not being helpful, I'm sorry.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as a DC, but I've been in the hosting business LONG before there was a MYBB. There is no "host" above me. I have a line provider That supplies link, but they have no access to my servers nor the config. We have several phpBB installs that have no issues on exactly the same VPS setups. I chose MyBB for my own reasons.

I understand that this is a volunteer group offering assistance based on their particular knowledge level of the software. I also understand that not everyone has the same setups for hosting and many people utilize shared hosts which further muddles the issue.

This was in fact the whole point of me posting in the first place. A user, asked for help and was told to "google it".

This was in the very first initial post on this thread. My post shows that there is an issue with the software, that no one seems ready to acknowledge except in reference to bug #3044 which this error seems to mirror. (https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3044)

I am not aware of a configuration which would allow a user to upload a file, insert a reference to the uploaded file to a post, then flag a size limitation only after the person selects "edit" or "update" to their post. Since the file has already been uploaded to the server without error, how is this a hosting issue?

If the file could not be uploaded then for sure it would be a php size limitation, or a limit on the users quota.
I have uploaded 1.7mb pdf, 6.7 mb pdf several times... and each time... after the file has been uploaded and is sitting on the server... when i update the post in the mybb software, I get a mybb error saying the file is too large.

Then I check the thread and the file is there... having been uploaded several times... in testing.

I will move the software to another vps, but I suspect the point is moot.

Thanks very much for your time.

#######################################################################

Here is a final reply for those that have this error and are looking for help. This error was not my hosting company, nor was it my host. The error was an install issue with some mixed generation of the files.

To resolve this, I re setup the entire board on a different VPS. (good tip) The setup is identical because we image these things, it is just faster than installing. On the new install the problem was not present.

I then moved the entire install to a new account on the same VPS i started with. The problem was again, not present.
This leads me to believe that something within the upgrade from 1.8.12 to 1.8.15 caused the error.

I would like to extend my thinks to all of those who tried to help. I do understand your plight when one considers the unknowns associated with users and their variety of different setups, permissions and configurations.

With any open source projects there are bound to be issues that go beyond the scope of the users.
Sometimes a simple backtic or a space at the end of a line can cause a file to process incorrectly.

Again, thanks for your time.

#######################################################################
Pages: 1 2