MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mybb performance on windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, how is it going?

Can you give me a tip please?

I'm gonna start a forum and I have the choise between a shared web hosting on linux or windows.
On which one of these does myBB show the best performance?
In my case the windows choise is gonna be cheaper than linux, is it difficult to install myBB on windows? I've read the guide and it says to give full permissions to files, in order to edit them, can I do that (on windows plesk hosting) or do I have to ask my hoster if they allow that?

Thanks
Actually, Linux should be cheaper than Windows since *everything* uses Linux root services.

When you install things from github, you automatically think Linux systems.

I recommend Intersever: https://www.interserver.net/vps/?id=397412

VPS:
Linux starting @ $6.00
Windows @ $10.00

Web-hosting (Shared):
Starting @ $5.00

Dedicated:
Starting @ $39.00
My personal opinion is, MyBB should work fine with both Windows and Linux. I have not tried though.
MyBB works fine on either. There's no technical benefit to using Windows over Linux for a forum.
(2017-09-12, 06:14 PM)jerry22 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, how is it going?

Can you give me a tip please?

I'm gonna start a forum and I have the choise between a shared web hosting on linux or windows.
On which one of these does myBB show the best performance?
In my case the windows choise is gonna be cheaper than linux, is it difficult to install myBB on windows? I've read the guide and it says to give full permissions to files, in order to edit them, can I do that (on windows plesk hosting) or do I have to ask my hoster if they allow that?

Thanks

Using a Windows Server will cost more, make management more complicated, and doesn't have the best record for security. Do yourself a favor and use Linux. Feel free to PM me if Linux feels overwhelming, I can help you. I recommend Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS as your server os.