MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to stop google from indexing archived threads?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
delete
Use the following robots.txt:
User-Agent: *
Disallow: /captcha.php
Disallow: /editpost.php
Disallow: /misc.php
Disallow: /modcp.php
Disallow: /moderation.php
Disallow: /newreply.php
Disallow: /newthread.php
Disallow: /online.php
Disallow: /printthread.php
Disallow: /private.php
Disallow: /ratethread.php
Disallow: /report.php
Disallow: /reputation.php
Disallow: /search.php
Disallow: /sendthread.php
Disallow: /task.php
Disallow: /stats.php
Disallow: /memberlist.php
Disallow: /usercp.php
Disallow: /usercp2.php
Disallow: /member.php
Disallow: /calendar.php
Disallow: /portal.php
Disallow: /*action=lastpost*
Disallow: /*action=emailuser*
Disallow: /*action=nextnewest*
Disallow: /*action=nextoldest*
Disallow: /*year=*
Disallow: /*action=weekview*
Disallow: /*action=nextnewest*
Disallow: /*action=nextoldest*
Disallow: /*sort=*
Disallow: /*order=*
Disallow: /*mode=*
Disallow: /*datecut=*
Disallow: /*tab*
Disallow: /*-lastpost.html
Disallow: /xmlhttp.php
Disallow: /showthread.php
Disallow: /showteam.php
Disallow: /archive/
Disallow: /admin/
Allow: /
If you mean an archive forum then you'll need to remove guests view access.
(2017-09-13, 01:02 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]If you mean an archive forum then you'll need to remove guests view access.

From where? I see no option to do that
(2017-09-13, 01:08 PM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-13, 01:02 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]If you mean an archive forum then you'll need to remove guests view access.

Go to admin panel. Select the selection you don't want indexed. Remove the guests view permission from the section.
(2017-09-13, 01:23 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-13, 01:08 PM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]

Go to admin panel. Select the selection you don't want indexed. Remove the guests view permission from the section.

There is no option to "noindex" the archived version. At least I don't see it.
(2017-09-13, 12:57 PM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]Google is indexing the archived version of my forum and some archived threads outrank my normal threads, which is bad.

I want google to stop indexing archived threads

I know you can prevent google bots from indexing certain pages on your website with noindex but how do you do this on a mybb forum?

Not necessarily. 

The reason why Google and other SEs may prefer to list the archive version must be because

1) The much improved page load times.
2) Archive version is almost mobile friendly, which MyBB is not.

So it follows that they may prefer to serve that version of content to users rather than the normal version.

However, If you want to noindex the archive URLs, you firstly have to stop linking to it in the footer. i.e remove the Archive link from the footer template, and then you have to make a code edit in inc/functions_archive.php approx line 65.

Change <meta name="robots" content="index,follow" /> to <meta name="robots" content="noindex,follow" />

No need to make any changes to robots.txt
(2017-09-13, 03:02 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-13, 12:57 PM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]Google is indexing the archived version of my forum and some archived threads outrank my normal threads, which is bad.

I want google to stop indexing archived threads

I know you can prevent google bots from indexing certain pages on your website with noindex but how do you do this on a mybb forum?

Not necessarily. 

The reason why Google and other SEs may prefer to list the archive version must be because

1) The much improved page load times.
2) Archive version is almost mobile friendly, which MyBB is not.

So it follows that they may prefer to serve that version of content to users rather than the normal version.

However, If you want to noindex the archive URLs, you firstly have to stop linking to it in the footer. i.e remove the Archive link from the footer template, and then you have to make a code edit in inc/functions_archive.php approx line 65.

Change <meta name="robots" content="index,follow" /> to <meta name="robots" content="noindex,follow" />

No need to make any changes to robots.txt

Thanks, I just did all of that. Let's see how long it takes for google to deindex the "lite" pages.