MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Creating issues on GH on behalf of someone else
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What the hell is this?

Look here and compare it with this. Someone reports a bug here on forum and who reports it on GH? Staff member. Would be nothing wrong, but staff member writes as if he was original reporter of the bug.

Why not let original reported create issue on GH?
The user can create an issue on github but they often don't. What you are seeing there is a consequence of the moderation autotool we have to push a thread to github (hence why the issue links to the original thread). We can't have it make issues on behalf of another github user...

You might have noticed the issue content is identical to the thread?

This is something we have found much more efficient than relying on a user to actually make an issue if we ask "can you please make an issue on github". Often the answer is either "what is github?" or "how do I do that?" or they simply do nothing.
Wrong.
You can let this tool (whatever its name is) to post on behalf of GH user the same way you have it 'copy' thread to create GH's issue. This just requires slight modification in query to GH's API.
(2017-09-17, 01:30 PM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]Wrong.
You can let this tool (whatever its name is) to post on behalf of GH user the same way you have it 'copy' thread to create GH's issue.

Wrong.

It isn't possible for me to create an issue with Darkrad's GitHub account (if he/she even HAVE a freaking GitHub account-- have you considered that?! Oh, you didn't...)

(2017-09-17, 01:30 PM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]This just requires slight modification in query to GH's API.

Do me a favor, will ya? Find someone else to troll.
We have discussed this and can see why it may be confusing. One thought that we have is that we could post the issue with a bot account which makes it clear the issue was posted automatically.
(2017-09-16, 06:28 PM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]What the hell is this?

Look here and compare it with this. Someone reports a bug here on forum and who reports it on GH? Staff member. Would be nothing wrong, but staff member writes as if he was original reporter of the bug.

Why not let original reported create issue on GH?

Please don't get me wrong, I have nothing against you and you're entitled to your own ideas and opinions about the project, the community and the team. And I respect them.

But from my standing point of view, it seems like in every post you make, all your criticism and opinions are always about denigrating someone. I'm not sure if you do it on purpose but you end up doing it, most of the times unfairly. In this post, more specifically, you actually put the following message in bold:  "staff member writes as if he was original reporter of the bug" after previously linking to a thread and a GH issue which clearly identifies a MyBB staff member.

From my point of view, it seems like you're implying that MyBB team members, and more specifically the one who opened the GH issue, actually favor the creation of GH issues in their name, over the original reporter's name, as if they gained anything with it. I come to this conclusion by looking at the way you introduce your post: "What the hell is this?".

Wouldn't it be more helpful and friendlier if you had simply asked:

Quote:Hi!

I've noticed in several threads in the Bugs and Issues forum that a lot of them end up becoming GH issues on behalf of a staff member, rather than the user that reported it.

Why does that happen? Is it because the user is not registered on GitHub? Or some other reason?
I think it would be more fair if the issue had been opened by the issue reported, because it would count towards the statistics of that user. It's something that I have been wondering Toungue

Regards,
XYZ
It's just a suggestion from me to you and I hope you take it as inoffensive. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if you start behaving in a more friendly manner, you'll get different and more constructive responses from staff members as well as the rest of the community Smile