MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum Assistance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All right, this might sound strange and I browsed through the other areas but this seems to be the place where I can get help. Or at least directed to the right place.

Okay, to be clear, I am not the owner of a MyBB forum but I am just one of the members that had been made an admin--like a "co-admin" kind of thing, by the original owner. However, he sold his forum to another person that had taken over. And it's been months since that transaction happened. Skip to now, the new owner hasn't been keeping up with the forum and I don't really blame him because we're all busy at times, but this was just unacceptable. 

My issue is that:

1) I cannot update the MyBB version whatsoever to the current one. It's at 1.8.4 version, if I recalled last. It would say that the site was down and to try again later. I waited an hour and tried again, and nothing.
2) Now, I cannot properly access the Admin CP any longer. When I do, it kicks me out and says it's an invalid session when I click to other links inside it.
3) I am logged onto the site, but now it's full of text, broken images, and the links only take you to 404 errors. 
4) Earlier when I tried to import a theme I had that was compatible with the version, it went by fine. And then that's when all this mess started happening. I wanted to go back into ACP to delete it and see if it was the issue, but now it won't even let me. 

It's a complete mess and I'm trying to do everything I can to save this site. The link to it can be found here:

http://pokeboard.com/

Is it salvageable in any way or what's going on? What do I need to do to fix this? Or, must it be shut down for good? If so, is there any way I can save posts or something? Images are shown below.

The cached versions of what it should look like and what it did look like earlier:

[Image: ABDv9Op.png]
[Image: xD6Rzr6.png]
[Image: rvv3EsF.png]

What it looks like now, the ACP failure, and everything is not secured anymore:

[Image: KhPb76L.png]
[Image: e0SiIAy.png]
[Image: oMB0W2q.png]

[Image: 8FannIn.png]

And as soon as I click something, this happens:

[Image: kyV3NPP.png]
Hello there,
looks like you've changed you're domain name.
In case you didn't , then it could be possible that you're settings.php file did change to standard values.

to resolve this issue try the following:
1. Go to you're forum root directory with any ftp client
2. Go to the inc folder
3. Find and open the file: settings.php
4. Change the line: $settings['bburl']=""; to -> $settings['bburl']="http://pokeboard.com/";
5. Change the line: $settings['cookiedomain'] = ""; to -> $settings['cookiedomain'] = ".pokeboard.com";
6. Change the line: $settings['cookiepath']=""; to -> $settings['cookiepath']="/";
7. Save the file and overwrite the file in the inc folder on the server with you're adjusted version.
8. Fingers crossed
(2017-09-22, 09:39 PM)zyra Wrote: [ -> ]Hello there,
looks like you've changed you're domain  name.
In case you didn't , then it could be possible that you're settings.php file did change to standard values.

to resolve this issue try the following:
1. Go to you're forum root directory with any ftp client
2. Go to the inc folder
3. Find and open the file: settings.php
4. Change the line: $settings['bburl']=""; to -> $settings['bburl']="http://pokeboard.com/";
5. Change the line: $settings['cookiedomain'] = ""; to -> $settings['cookiedomain'] = ".pokeboard.com";
6. Change the line: $settings['cookiepath']=""; to -> $settings['cookiepath']="/";
7. Save the file and overwrite the file in the inc folder on the server with you're adjusted version.
8. Fingers crossed

Hello, thanks for the reply!

I honestly appreciate your solution, although the real, main issue is that I'm not the owner of the site, therefore I have no other access to anything like FTP client. This looks like something the owner has to do in order to fix the issue. I can't click anything else in the ACP after logging in; I just get kicked out and it says "Invalid administration session" and prompts for me to sign in again--and that fails when I do it correctly.

But if it is a domain name change, then does this mean that the site itself has "expired" in some way? Like, since there might not have been any payments or anything like that to keep it up, is it just going to expire?
No it doesn't has anything to do with expiry.
I presume that the attempt to update you're mybb version screwed you're core settings,
With other words the forum does not know which domain name it uses , so it's own internal linking to local recourses is screwed so badly that it can't find it's own stylesheets.

And on the other hand you can't get a valid admin sessions because the mybb engine doesn't know which domain name to state on the generated cookie
(2017-09-22, 10:03 PM)zyra Wrote: [ -> ]No it doesn't has anything to do with expiry.
I presume that the attempt to update you're mybb version screwed you're core settings,
With other words the forum does not know which domain name it uses , so it's own internal linking to local recourses is screwed so badly that it can't find it's own stylesheets.

And on the other hand you can't get a valid admin sessions because the mybb engine doesn't know which domain name to state on the generated cookie

Oh, okay then. Thanks for that.

In other words, I can't really do anything until the actual admin does decide to come around and fix it. I'll have to try and contact him then. Anyway, still, thank you for the solution and response. I really appreciate it.
I just did a sever change this and had the exact same issues as you are seeing

The settings noted above will need changing, but your display issues will be solved via "Rebuilding & Reloading all" on the Cache Manager (Tools & Maintenance > Cache Manager)

That should solve the display issues
(2017-09-22, 10:08 PM)Ruiji Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-22, 10:03 PM)zyra Wrote: [ -> ]No it doesn't has anything to do with expiry.

Oh, okay then. Thanks for that.

In other words, I can't really do anything until the actual admin does decide to come around and fix it. I'll have to try and contact him then. Anyway, still, thank you for the solution and response. I really appreciate it.

That's correct, you'll need to wait until the person with the credentials of the sites ftp folder comes around. No problem at all, we were glad to help/ give insight into you're issue.

(2017-09-22, 11:14 PM)NotAdmin Wrote: [ -> ]I just did a sever change this and had the exact same issues as you are seeing

The settings noted above will need changing, but your display issues will be solved via "Rebuilding & Reloading all" on the Cache Manager (Tools & Maintenance > Cache Manager)

That should solve the display issues

As notAdmin stated, this can solve the display issues, but as long as the cookie domain is not set properly, you will not be able to adjust these settings, because you will never make it to the page responsible for changing that setting, because it will continously say "Invalid administration session" right after logging in successfully, quit ironical in this case :p