MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Login Problem where new domain does not work, old domain alias does
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, this is a bit complex,please bear with me. I am a newbie

On September 1st, I set up an account with InMotionhosting for a domain ending in .com

And put a newly created MyBB forum at that   .com 

I realized later I wanted to use .org

I got the .org domain a few days ago, and after some issues the .org is the primary and the .com is a alias (though I wish now I’d set it as a pointer, not alias. Like I said, newbie. But if it was a pointer it might have made the following problem worse).

Here’s where it goes badly:

When a member goes  to the forum  ending in  .org and logs in (or a new member joins it), they are accepted, but upon successful login at .org,  they end up on the home page of the .org   WITHOUT being logged in.   

The only way to log in and stay logged in is to use log in using the .com

Which makes the .org useless for now.

I need to get this fixed so that the a person comes to the .org version, they can join / login and be logged in at the .org forum.

To enable   testing for this issue, I have created this user account, that is set for moderated posts since there’s no need for posting messages once login at  .org is successful.  
username:   MyBB-test
PW :  mybb12345

I’d prefer for people to use this rather than create a new account, but if you feel it necessary to create a new account then please put “mybb” into the username so I’ll know it’s a test account.

The .org domain is:    contestrockets.org

The original domain that is now an alias is:  contestrockets.com

MyBB version is:  1.8.12

PHP version:  7.0.22

MySQL engine:  MySQLi 5.6.35

And again, the problem is when logging into the .org, they end up at the home page not logged in. 

Only stay logged in if they do it from the .com site.

I am figuring at this point the problem is within some MyBB setting that needs to be fixed. But realize it might be a host set-up issue.

Any insights into the cause and how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

- George G.

FWIW, below is a screenshot of the file directories, from my FTP app.

I manually copied the .com folder and renamed it to end with .org.  Otherwise the content in it is unchanged (I see an admin directory inside of both versions, but no visible files)

[Image: Wirr4GL.gif]

And below, a screenshot from InMotionHosting, showing that it is successfully set to be .org now.  

[Image: xeXc8Ud.gif]
Sounds like a cookie problem. Access your database and change the cookie domain (and path if incorrect) to the relevant domain, then delete inc/settings.php file. You may have to clear your cache and do a hard refresh before attempting to login.
(2017-09-28, 12:08 AM)Wires Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a cookie problem. Access your database and change the cookie domain (and path if incorrect) to the relevant domain, then delete inc/settings.php file. You may have to clear your cache and do a hard refresh before attempting to login.

Thanks.  As I said..... I am a newbie. Where will I find the database and by what means (software) will I need to use to access it?    

From the FTP screenshot, what directory would I start in?

Updating this, previously I said I could not find the inc/settings.php file location, but now have. 

Thanks.

George G.

[Image: Wirr4GL.gif]
I had same issue while ago, it ended up being the cookie issue as described above. Just need to change it to the .org domain.
If you're using cPanel hosting use PhpMyAdmin to access the database and go into mybb_settings (your prefix may be different), and do what I said above.
Ah, YES!!!  Thanks WIRES, and also InsurgLife!

Used cPanel and navigated as you indicated.  Fixed the cookies, as well as other fields that had the .org domain to change those to the .org domain.

So appreciative  you had the answers, and that it was simpler to do (via cPanel) than i thought it might be.

-  George G.

UPDATE:

WIRES, I want to thank you yet again for your answer.  As it answered a new problem!  Smile

Because I later screwed something up with the cookies setting and locked myself out of being logged into my forum.  Previously I had solved the earlier problem by using the MyBB admin panel to change the cookie value. But I no longer could for this.  Very frustrating gave up for the night.

Expected to be posting another request for help today to try to solve it. 

Then this morning in re-reading your message I tried using cPanel via my host (inMotionHosting). I've never used it much (after creating the forum) since it is so easy to do things using the MyBB admin panel.  Anyway, using your advice I navigated thru cPanel and finally got to the cookie domain setting and fixed it.  

So, I'm able to access my forum again. And I now know a lot more about using cPanel options.

And not to be messing around with settings like that when I'm not so sure of the consequences.

And to Back Up right before making significant changes, just in case.

Newbie, but learning....   Smile

- George G.