MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Moving to a new web host
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have recently changed my webhost and am having problems getting my forum installed. I have downloaded the required file as per instructions here ... 
https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/faq/moving-to-a-new-web-host
This compressed backup is 2.720 KB compressed and 5,812 uncompressed, and the compressed file ends with .sql.gz

Then downloaded and re-uploaded the folder containing all of my forum files to the new host.

But, the data base is not being found/recognised by the new host when I try to import the Database ?

This new host does not use cPanel, but has designed their own version for their use. There are only a few applications that are available for Auto Installation and MyBB is not one of them.

This hosting company is very large and has been around for quite a few years, so should have what it takes to get everything up and running.

Can anyone advise me on this ?
perhaps, best method would be to upload your database backup to root folder of your domain &
request web host support to import it to the server. later you can connect to it through config.php file
Aha !
I had already thought of that, and then contacted support to ask for their assistance.
But, I was advised that no DB could be found within the file that I specified, and that the file may have been corrupted. Trouble is that I threw a tantrum with my old host and after I had downloaded the backup I deleted all of my old stuff.
I should not have bothered.

But I do have a couple of previous back-ups that are in two parts. They were done by Softaculous as part of my auto back-up process. I am looking at the possibility of changing my host yet again, as it uses the traditional cPanel that everyone is familiar with, and it also has auto install for myBB.
What would you do ?

My Teddy bear is looking very worried as he knows that If I do not get this sorted out soon, he is going to be in for some serious brutality.
(2017-10-08, 11:04 AM)Inafix Wrote: [ -> ]My Teddy bear is looking very worried as he knows that If I do not get this sorted out soon, he is going to be in for some serious brutality.

No not the Teddy i will plead for his life...... Big Grin
OK.
I will restrain myself for the time being.
But Mr Teddy is currently standing on very thin ice !
If i am right then softaculous backups also contains backed up database in .sql file format(its actually a plaintext file) you just have to find it. I never used the softaculous backup so i honestly don't know how it operates but i am sure it backup the database too.
OK thanks.
At the moment I am uploading to a new host to see if it will install there.
I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
I changed my web host yet again, this time to one who uses the 'cPanel' that many of us are familier with, and who also supports 'myBB'
So now I have everything up and running again, and so far it appears to to be functioning as it should.

Mr Teddy and I went out for a drink the other night and I was surprised to find that he is really quite a nice character indeed. I feel bad about how I have treated him the past and have vowed never to throw him out of my pram again.
(2017-10-17, 02:40 AM)Inafix Wrote: [ -> ]I changed my web host yet again, this time to one who uses the 'cPanel' that many of us are familier with, and who also supports 'myBB'
So now I have everything up and running again, and so far it appears to to be functioning as it should.

Mr Teddy and I went out for a drink the other night and I was surprised to find that he is really quite a nice character indeed. I feel bad about how I have treated him the past and have vowed never to throw him out of my pram again.

the only thing i can say your teddy is sure something else if i were you i might get him into pieces by now.