MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Migrate to new host then upgrade or vice versa?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to move my forum to a new host. My forum is myBB 1.8.4. If possible I intend to migrate forum by myself. My new host offers full cPanel migration but I prefer to do this one site at a time and learn how (hopefully I won’t kill too many brain cells doing this). Should I migrate first then upgrade or upgrade and then migrate. I would appreciate your sage advice as this is my first time moving to a new host. Blush

Active plugins: Required Approval (1.1)
Inactive plugins: Fassim Anti Spam (1.21)

Also when I click MyBB version check I see this: “There was a problem communicating with the version server. Please try again in a few minutes.” If you think I should make a new thread about this problem please say so.

Probably seems crazy that I want to migrate manually and yet I don’t keep pace with upgrades. All I can say is I have to be in the mood to do this kind of stuff and the mood doesn’t hit me very often. Plus my old host gave me strong motivation to leave.

Thank you for your help.
I would think upgrading first makes sense. In fact, the error you mention may be related to your forum being so far behind on maintenance.

In my way of thinking, your first step in assessment is to compare the stats of each host-- CPUs, RAM, PHP version, MySQL/MariaDB/whatev version. Compare this to your old host-- if you are getting newer and better, then you certainly want to have the latest updates (some of which may be for PHP 7, for example).

Maybe someone disagrees, but I think that in general it is always a high priority to upgrade the forum software.
Just some thoughts:

If I upgrade at old host I must then migrate to new host. If something goes wrong at old host then I’ll have to fix it there before I can migrate to new host. That’s assuming I realize there is something wrong before I migrate. If I don’t realize that there is a problem until after I migrate I will have to wonder / diagnose if the problem was caused by the upgrade or the migration.

If I migrate to new host and then upgrade I might have two working installations. Then I can point my DN at the new host and I’m done.

All this depends on my being able to figure out how to migrate myBB which is still in question.
I still recommand to upgrade first then migrade, by ignoring your argumentation, you should just make a full backup before upgrading, then you have no problems if something went wrong.
(10-12-2017, 03:24 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]If I upgrade at old host I must then migrate to new host. If something goes wrong at old host then I’ll have to fix it there before I can migrate to new host. That’s assuming I realize there is something wrong before I migrate. If I don’t realize that there is a problem until after I migrate I will have to wonder / diagnose if the problem was caused by the upgrade or the migration.

Sorry, I missed your earlier reply.

Your logic isn't sound. If something goes wrong upgrading the old forum, then all is not lost. You can simply restore the original forum from a database backup. So, there is no advantage to waiting to upgrade.

On the other hand, things are much more likely to go wrong on the new host than the existing host, given that people generally upgrade hosting rather than go backward.

I'm not arguing, though. You asked.

(10-12-2017, 03:24 PM)Puppyite Wrote: [ -> ]If I migrate to new host and then upgrade I might have two working installations. Then I can point my DN at the new host and I’m done.

Again, the logic is flawed. How will you upgrade the new installation without pointing the DN there first?

And in either scenario, whether everything goes well or not, you will not have two working sites.

Quote:
There can only be one.
There can only be one.
There can only be one.
There can only be one.
There can only be one.