MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Merge - Google SEO not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello I used MyBB Merge to merge a MyBB database into another mybb forum of mine.
i installed Google SEO and now it says URL not found..
i enabled friendly urls and also added the code to my HTACCESS file and applied changes.
what is your forum url ?
look at the Google SEO plugin at the plugins page in the forum admin panel.
there should be some information just below the plugin name. what does it say ?
My board url is http://www.nextgamer.ro/forum/
But it's disabled at the moment I'm working on it on localhost
In ACP it's
Google Search Engine Optimization as described in the official Google's SEO starter guide. Please see the documentation for details.
Click to Revert changes to core files.

The old database was using GOOGLE SEO so whern I merged topics / posts it already had GOOGLE SEO.
After merge on the NEW MYBB installation I installed GOOGLE SEO and just doesn't work... could it be something because of the merge procedure didn't grab the old google seo urls or something
you can try deactivating the plugin, uninstall it ; reinstall and activate & then check again

(edited .. please ignore uninstalling & reinstalling Google SEO plugin as the plugin coder said in below reply)
Forum merge changes thread IDs and such things ... so even if you copied the google seo database for those over, it would not work / do more harm than good actually, as it would give you wrong entries for wrong ids...

Google SEO takes a while to rebuild its database (whenever a link is requested naturally for the first time, limited number of queries per request). So if you lost the Google SEO table (by uninstalling, reinstalling) it would take some time for old links to start working again, and you lose all old redirects permanently, which is why normally you never uninstall, just deactive/activate when updating the plugin.

You can also optimize the URL database on the plugin status (click URL where it says URL is enabled) that would get rid of entries that don't have existing IDs.

Other than that it's the same old - you have to provide rewrite functionality. Shouldn't be a problem since you got thread-123.html style URLs working that also use rewrites.
(2017-10-25, 10:19 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Forum merge changes thread IDs and such things ... so even if you copied the google seo database for those over, it would not work / do more harm than good actually, as it would give you wrong entries for wrong ids...

Google SEO takes a while to rebuild its database (whenever a link is requested naturally for the first time, limited number of queries per request). So if you lost the Google SEO table (by uninstalling, reinstalling) it would take some time for old links to start working again, and you lose all old redirects permanently, which is why normally you never uninstall, just deactive/activate when updating the plugin.

You can also optimize the URL database on the plugin status (click URL where it says URL is enabled) that would get rid of entries that don't have existing IDs.

Other than that it's the same old - you have to provide rewrite functionality. Shouldn't be a problem since you got thread-123.html style URLs working that also use rewrites.

Hi, can you tell me if it is possible to accelerate the process of rebuilding the links? I have some links that just disappeared probably because I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin, when clicking directly from the forum they show again.
(2018-08-27, 03:17 PM)cloudgp Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, can you tell me if it is possible to accelerate the process of rebuilding the links?

On a fresh install, if you've enabled the sitemap, you could browse the sitemap as it... contains all the links.

So you could do that until all the showthread.php?tid=123 turned into Thread-Whatever-Subject.

But this should happen quite quickly by itself, as there is always someone browsing your site.

Fixing *wrong* entries on the other hand, because you changed thread IDs in a forum merge, takes considerably longer. You'd have to visit each thread individually, as up-to-dateness is harder to check than non-existence. To speed this up, you'd have to go into the database and mark all URLs as outdated (UPDATE mybb_google_seo SET active=0).