MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: is my forum protected by Copyright?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am just wondering if my forum is protected by copyright, because last night while i was sleeping i got hacked and also he took a copy of my database, and used it on his hosting to create my forum, with my users and cats and so on, he then re-directed all my forum cats and so on, and also stole my name, so i am just wondering is my forum copyright protected so that i can call my isp and the police to do something about it?
A copyright means nothing for what happens to your forum
but he copied my database and mny name and so on? is there anything that i can do about it?
Yeh, contact a lawyer, and your host and the police and your isp. blah blah blah. Probably can't/won't do much though
but doesn't that cost lol?, and is it really worth getting a lawyer for it?
Your users and category names can't be copyrighted as far as I am aware because they are too small and insignificant. Your name is most likely copyrightable but usually a copyright is placed on something as a whole, so your whole website, theme, layout et al will be copyrighted as a whole.

If someone has ripped your whole website, you maybe able to do something, the problem is I doubt any ISP will really care unless your some big company.

That said I'm not sure because I'm not a layer. Also what I said above applies for UK Law where creative copyright automatically protects a creative project whenever it leaves the authors head and makes it into some type of physical form.
well, i have got him back for what he did as he forgot to remove some admin permissions from a few members lol. so i checked them all and 2 or 3 of them worked so i changed everything turned is board offline and so on, so if he does it again i will contact the people, but this all happend because i downgraded him from admin to super mod, because he wasn't active and so on lol, and then another admin on my forum changed him to admin so he could create a backup of my database and so on, and i just edited all there permissions on what they can do and so on, so now i create a backup every night b4 i goto bed so if anything happens i will have only lost like so much not everything which im quite pleased about, i am just happy i made a backup the night b4 lol.
You could report his IP address to the ftc: http://www.ftc.gov
They'll deal with him.
The thing is i don't have his password anymore because as soon as i got the forum backup and running i deleted his user lol, and forgot to get his IP, so does that mean i cannot do anything about it?
You should choose whom you give admin rights to more carefully in the future.

Lesson learned, I hope.

Sorry to hear about this some people are just jerks.
Pages: 1 2