MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Provide option of showing Custom Profile Fields to Mods & Admins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In 1813, this change was added:
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/2811

I personally believe that admins should view hidden fields through admincp and the front end should hide the fields.
However, other people want admins/mods to see all fields.
So to make both parties happy I propose we add an setting to determine who can see hidden custom profile fields.

The setting should probably have the following options:
  • None
  • Moderators
  • Administrators

As a multi select or something similar.

Thoughts?
I think the question boils down to... What expectations of privacy do you really have from a forum? And what information are people sharing there to begin with? And what difference does it make to the user?

It's not that unusual for admins to poke around people's PMs. Heck, Discourse adds an ACP interface for it.
To be honest, I'm not sure how useful the profile field system really is to begin with, do people really share their Skypes and whatnot on them?
(2017-11-16, 08:24 AM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]I think the question boils down to... What expectations of privacy do you really have from a forum? And what information are people sharing there to begin with? And what difference does it make to the user?

It's not that unusual for admins to poke around people's PMs. Heck, Discourse adds an ACP interface for it.
To be honest, I'm not sure how useful the profile field system really is to begin with, do people really share their Skypes and whatnot on them?

1) You can already select which groups to display a hidden profile field too. I don't think an extra feature is needed.

2) The admins who use plugins to spy of PMs are kinda dicks - respect your users privacy until you get a court order.