MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Next development steps ("1.10")
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2018-08-22, 09:51 PM)Noobly Wrote: [ -> ]Any reason why you choose swift mailer over phpMailer?

Mostly because of my experience using SwiftMailer in the past, and it being maintained by Sensio Labs should mean it has a good chance of continuing to be maintained for a long time into the future.

I also like that transports are easily pluggable in SwiftMailer, which should open up opportunities for better integration into services such as MailGun in the future (either in the core or as plugins).
Aha, okay I understand (I love phpmailer sooo much though Toungue ), swift always felt.. old.

(2018-08-23, 07:00 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-22, 09:51 PM)Noobly Wrote: [ -> ]Any reason why you choose swift mailer over phpMailer?

Mostly because of my experience using SwiftMailer in the past, and it being maintained by Sensio Labs should mean it has a good chance of continuing to be maintained for a long time into the future.

I also like that transports are easily pluggable in SwiftMailer, which should open up opportunities for better integration into services such as MailGun in the future (either in the core or as plugins).
Not sure how the development is progressing on this, but just my 2 cents:

It makes sense to do all the small, easy feature updates first and then leave the difficult stuff for later. For the users, programming difficulty doesn't always correlate with an improved experience.

If I was developing myBB, I'd rank all the features by difficulty (easy, medium, hard), and then rank them again by impact. Then I'd just start at the top of this list and work down. High impact and easy stuff first. Low impact but still easy stuff second. High impact, medium difficulty stuff later, and so on.
(2018-09-17, 07:20 AM)W13 Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how the development is progressing on this, but just my 2 cents:

It makes sense to do all the small, easy feature updates first and then leave the difficult stuff for later. For the users, programming difficulty doesn't always correlate with an improved experience.

If I was developing myBB, I'd rank all the features by difficulty (easy, medium, hard), and then rank them again by impact. Then I'd just start at the top of this list and work down. High impact and easy stuff first. Low impact but still easy stuff second. High impact, medium difficulty stuff later, and so on.

It will be a while before MyBB 1.10.xx comes around. 

1.9.xx has not been released yet, but hopefully in the next 2-3 months. 

Then, the support will continue for 1.8.xx series for another year. Probably until November/December 2019. 
Most of the support will be in the form of security and bug releases. No more features will be implemented as stated by the MyBB Team.

Of course, the big focus will be implementing new features for 1.9.xx series along with security and bug fixes, which will take up most if not all of 2019.

Having said all of that...

My best estimate is that 1.10.xx series will come out early 2020.
(2018-09-17, 05:21 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-17, 07:20 AM)W13 Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how the development is progressing on this, but just my 2 cents:

It will be a while before MyBB 1.10.xx comes around. 

1.9.xx has not been released yet, but hopefully in the next 2-3 months. 

Then, the support will continue for 1.8.xx series for another year. Probably until November/December 2019. 
Most of the support will be in the form of security and bug releases. No more features will be implemented as stated by the MyBB Team.

Of course, the big focus will be implementing new features for 1.9.xx series along with security and bug fixes, which will take up most if not all of 2019.

Having said all of that...

My best estimate is that 1.10.xx series will come out early 2020.

I can only find 1.8.27 when I try to download mybb.
(2021-08-28, 01:17 AM)sKeith Wrote: [ -> ]I can only find 1.8.27 when I try to download mybb.

That is the only version currently available and used on this forum , If I was you I would download 1.8.27.

If/when 1.9 does finally arrive as a stable edition used here you will be able to upgrade.
Pages: 1 2 3 4