MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: LDAP Authentication
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if this is better suited as a plugin, but the existing LDAP authentication plugins are broken so I feel that an official implementation might be the way to go. Offering LDAP support would vastly improve the number of things that a user can 'hook' their MyBB into.

I was talking about MyBB to some of my colleagues earlier today and they all agree that this kind of feature can really open up MyBB to a new userbase (business and professional users) in a serious way.

LDAP is an extremely powerful and flexible system much like MyBB itself and it would make bridging MyBB with other software such as WordPress, Odoo and Joomla a whole lot easier.
I would broaden the suggestion to provide a more powerful API for authentication and user management. LDAP would be a popular implementation.
LDAP integration should be a plugin IMO. PHP has an LDAP extension, but there's no way we're going to require that for the extremely small number of cases where such integration is desired.

It could well be an official plugin, since we've agreed we're going to work on such things in the future, but I don't think this belongs in the core.

Regarding an API: That's an entirely different topic. I'd like to see one myself and would probably take the same approach as is planned for 2.0, with OAuth based authenticated and session management.
(2017-11-22, 05:34 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]LDAP integration should be a plugin IMO. PHP has an LDAP extension, but there's no way we're going to require that for the extremely small number of cases where such integration is desired.

It could well be an official plugin, since we've agreed we're going to work on such things in the future, but I don't think this belongs in the core.

Regarding an API: That's an entirely different topic. I'd like to see one myself and would probably take the same approach as is planned for 2.0, with OAuth based authenticated and session management.
I also feel an official plugin or one from staff will be the best thing.
An official plugin created by MyBB would be an acceptable compromise. Wink