MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Actually release this product?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just because it fixes the issue doesn't mean it doesn't introduce other issues and is the most efficient way of doing it.
(2017-11-29, 04:26 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-24, 10:18 PM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with 2.0 is that the world is changing, the goalposts constantly getting changed.

Likes are already obsolete with reactions becoming a thing.
SASS might become obsolete with CSS4.
2.0's theme is fairly dated for the present time.
PHP's likely going to go async in the near future (for significant speed improvements) which'll mean more changes to take advantage of that.

The idea of the monolithic five year project just doesn't work.
In theory, a 1.10 should do a lot better, as it just needs to focus on the here and now.

It just worries me that history will repeat itself.

Lunorian...

History (in relation to MyBB 2.0) has already repeated itself multiple times.   Angry

Don't expect anything different this time or anytime in the near future.   Rolleyes 

MyBB developers have pretty much blown off the Admins who are clamoring for a release date of MyBB 2.0, giving one excuse after another. 

I don't like it any more than you do, but I am ignoring any garbage from the MyBB development team until they clarify what they really want to do instead of giving BS excuses like this
THREAD.
Just the fact we're getting MyBB 1.10 is testament to the team facing reality when it comes to expectations and work flow.

What Chris B. did to release MyBB was a huge feat and requires a ton of effort. It's not easily to accomplish what he did and the team has carried it pretty far but 2.0 was a monster and it would require another huge feat from someone extremely dedicated to make it happen. The countless hours it takes to build something like forum software even with libraries is immense.

With 1.10 I think we'll have a better bridge to gap the versions.

Kudos to the team imho for changing direction.
Something to keep in mind is that rewriting an existing software from scratch and creating a new forum software aren't the same thing.
Creating a new forum software is a lot easier, as you don't need to meet all the expectations of the existing user-base, you can just start from nothing and gradually add functionality as the need arises.

But this also means that a software needs something really compelling in at-least *one* field to catch at-least some niche in the first place.
NodeBB has theirs with all the live stuff and congrats to them for trying to explore new markets.

I'd reckon that 2.0 would have been a failure anyway, as it simply doesn't match expectations, even in the plans.
Even if successful, many of the features people expect would have been pushed to 2.1 or 2.2 or some future version.
Is it possible to follow the development of MyBB 1.10 somewhere?
At what stage is it at the moment?

Best regards.
You can always watch the GitHub repository: https://github.com/mybb/mybb

There isn’t a 1.10 milestone or anything, and development is only really just beginning on 1.10.
Do you want to code it? Give them a break. They're good people working their hardest.

Most importantly: they don't owe you anything. You don't pay for this forum software.
(2017-12-05, 06:18 AM)bls1999 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you want to code it? Give them a break. They're good people working their hardest.

Most importantly: they don't owe you anything. You don't pay for this forum software.

It's not a question if 'they owe me or anyone anything'. It's not a question whether or not the software is paid or not.

It's a question of making public pronouncements about an upcoming version only to drag it out for years. 

For example, if Microsoft had announced that they are creating a brand new operating system called Doors 1.0, which will replace Windows 10 and they set a timetable for 18 months.
People are getting excited about this new OS and the hype that goes with it.

18 months go by... no Doors 1.0, but MS continues to update the current Windows 10 while people are clamoring for Doors 1.0 because MS made it sound like it was the next best thing since "sliced bread", but keeps on making one excuse after another. 

At this point... people who were initially all excited about the hype of Doors 1.0 are started to get annoyed and are left wondering 'What in the hell is going on?'. 
That leaves a bad taste with people and does turn off potential customers.

That's my 2 cents in this.
(2017-12-05, 11:51 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-05, 06:18 AM)bls1999 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you want to code it? Give them a break. They're good people working their hardest.

It's not a question if 'they owe me or anyone anything'. It's not a question whether or not the software is paid or not.

It's a question of making public pronouncements about an upcoming version only to drag it out for years. 

For example, if Microsoft had announced that they are creating a brand new operating system called Doors 1.0, which will replace Windows 10 and they set a timetable for 18 months.

18 months go by... no Doors 1.0, but MS continues to update the current Windows 10 while people are clamoring for Doors 1.0 because MS made it sound like it was the next best thing since "sliced bread", but keeps on making one excuse after another. 

At this point... people who were initially all excited about the hype of Doors 1.0 are started to get annoyed and are left wondering 'What in the hell is going on?'. 

I agree, while MyBB is developed by volunteers there still need to be time tables, as I've complained previously in the past the developers response is we are volunteers how about you do it?

Issues with that:
1) Not everyone who complains knows PHP (sololearn is a good start but it doesn't give you a practical understanding, just an understanding of the language itself, not how to put the concepts together and start developing).
2) I know PHP however I don't feel welcome as an outside contributor.
(2017-12-05, 11:51 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

That's a great analogy that the MyB Developers would do well to remember.
Hi,

Your MyBB suggestion has unfortunately been rejected. Your suggestion does not fit with the direction that MyBB is heading in as a project at this time.
Pages: 1 2 3