MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Replace MyBB Engine for PM's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently under the circumstance that no fromid is set when a PM is sent it uses "MyBB Engine".  I'd like to suggest a setting to set a uid.  I created Bot users like "Help Bot" and "Welcome Bot" so that it appeared slightly more professional imho.

I'd like to see this changed for default MyBB and should be easy to implement even in 1.8x.

Examples where everyone gets MyBB Engine is on thread subscriptions.  Using a Bot is nice because it can have a profile with helpful links in the signature. I created a group for these bots with no permissions to things like accepting PMs.

Thanks.
Support this, I've played around with the "MyBB Engine" user a little bit myself too but It'd be great if we had the change to either replace or personalise it.
I can definitely see why the ability to add/customise bot users would be useful both for the core engine and plugins. I wonder if they should have a full user profile though, or a slightly different page to make clear they are a bot (eg: no reputation information, no registration date, etc.)
(2017-11-25, 10:43 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I can definitely see why the ability to add/customise bot users would be useful both for the core engine and plugins. I wonder if they should have a full user profile though, or a slightly different page to make clear they are a bot (eg: no reputation information, no registration date, etc.)

I think so, a workaround would be to stick them all into a usergroup and then tell the core that these accounts are engine/bot users.
Quote:I wonder if they should have a full user profile though, or a slightly different page to make clear they are a bot (eg: no reputation information, no registration date, etc.)

That's why I create a Bot group for them. I can give them a special username color, stars, and alter their profile so members can obviously see very quickly they are not a normal member.

I think regular profiles is enough to start with and if users want more edit ability they can do so.
I agree with this suggestion, it will probably become even more powerful feature if integrated with MyBot system by Jones H
I definitely support this. A setting to select a uid would be best imo.
I support.

@Euan; perhaps the ability to use a 'limited profile' within usergroups.
A bot flag for usergroups would work, beyond that, there could be a setting for specifying which bot you want responding to PMs, there could be a default one.
(2017-11-27, 12:14 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]I support.

@Euan; perhaps the ability to use a 'limited profile' within usergroups.

That may be the best approach, as that could then also be applied to people cleaned up by the purge spammer tool (put them in a "limited profile" "Spammers" usergroup and hide a lot of fields that could have been filled in with spam data).