MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Email Notifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Detailed description of your problem, including steps to reproduce if necessary
Email notifications not working using SMTP.GMAIL.com for every notification sent.

[*]URL to your forum/URL to specific problematic page
[*]Probably not necessary

[*]This is  a new installation of 1.8.13 installed on Hosting 24 (from their CPanel)

[*]Test user account (if it requires additional permissions)
[*]Probably not necessary

[*]Screenshot or error text, verbatim:
[*]The SMTP server rejected the supplied SMTP password. Reason: 534-5.7.14 <https://accounts.google.com/signin/continue?sarp=1&scc=1&plt=AKgnsbuH 534-5.7.14 6tRqnBzBOaIols3d1GBqh7sv05gQZp25oRfbLgDuPbOhxInAZIRUXGdK1DEP8Y9xapy8MA 534-5.7.14 bef0x2wVPHp7Pp56TuSuh6VTiJIvhCPzeO3cjj2mTG8cv99U6-u6x0bDc5w_p6tjIMWLc9 534-5.7.14 FWGtRKDC4CvTDKjjsBnm1sJwtlRqVPS29PJvAHqQqlQgVOK2j_x2d7uhlXy2RV3uslPAK3 534-5.7.14 F_GTUHA5KVUJvhtO6Sntrg5n3hasQ> Please log in via your web browser and 534-5.7.14 then try again. 534-5.7.14 Learn more at 534 5.7.14 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754 f23sm70838ywb.104 - gsmtp

Mail Settings:
Mail handler SMTP mail
SMTP hostname smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port 465
SMTP username <[email protected] account I have had for over 5 years>
SMTP password <my password carefully typed using my known password with explicit case sensitivity>
SMTP Encryption Mode SSL encryption
Mail Logging Log everything
Add message ID in mail headers Yes and No get the same error

Site Details:
Admin Email <[email protected] same as SMTP username>

What have I done wrong?
I haven't ever used Gmail as an SMTP relay for MyBB, but I'm pretty sure you need to do this in order to make it work:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answ...0255?hl=en
Quote:Option 2: Change your settings to allow less secure apps into your account. We don't recommend this option because it can make it easier for someone to break into your account. If you want to allow access anyway, follow these steps:
  1. Go to the "Less secure apps" section of my Account.
  2. Turn on Allow less secure apps. (Note: If your administrator has locked less secure app account access, this setting is hidden.)
Thanks you for the reply.

I will try that.

I'm curious. What SMTP relay did/do you use and what is considered standard for MyBB?
(2017-11-28, 09:49 PM)bapu Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious. What SMTP relay did/do you use and what is considered standard for MyBB?

I personally run my own SMTP server, I think that most other people use the default PHP mailer system though.
The problem with the php mailer system (on Hosting24 that is) is it limited to 100/hour or 19/minute. We tend to break that rule quickly if 3 people reply to thread that has 8 subscribers in less than a minute.

Hosting24 shuts down the PHP mailer when that limit is hit. PITA having to contact them to re-enable it. And of course notifications are lost.

BTW that less secure apps turn on did not help.
(2017-11-28, 10:14 PM)bapu Wrote: [ -> ]BTW that less secure apps turn on did not help.

Hmm okay, try setting the encryption to TLS, instead of SSL.
(2017-11-28, 10:17 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-28, 10:14 PM)bapu Wrote: [ -> ]BTW that less secure apps turn on did not help.

Leaving less secure apps still turned on?
Leaving port the same (465)?
(2017-11-28, 10:31 PM)bapu Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-28, 10:17 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]

Leaving less secure apps still turned on?
Leaving port the same (465)?

Yes. Smile
Well, that changed something.

No errors in the System Mail Log after 5 minutes of waiting.

However, still no notification email.

Arrrrrgh.

This is so frustrating.
Might Indicate your webhost blocks connection to the smtp