MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Proper Editor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Source: https://community.mybb.com/thread-214010.html

The current myBB editor is a piece of crap.

phpBB has a very nice one (Muscletalk.co.za) has an amazing editor.

Biggest flaw currently is that copied content messes up the layout and font. The editor should disregard the copied text's font and styling
It would be great if the editor would include table insertion.
Pasting in "source mode" off, should force the user to paste in "unformatted" text.
Character count.
I really would like to see a good editor on MyBB; most importantly with tables

Migrating from PB to MyBB, one of the few things I and my user miss is the ability to easily insert and maintain tables (via the WYSIWYG toolbar).  I tried the CK Editor plugin for this purpose, but it is very buggy and no longer maintained - the RIN Editor (based on CK) is by far the best editor, but annoyingly hasn't got tables

After some unskilled investigation into the current editor, I was surprised to see that the editor that MyBB uses (SCeditor) includes tables, so not sure why it isn't included on mybb?

SCeditor has just released a new version of its editor (v2 - version integrated into myBB is v1.4.7 from 2015) and it looks pretty stable, so I guess it may be best to stick with "the devil you know" (but please included tables!)
The reason tables aren't available is that there isn't a core MyCode for including tables. It probably wouldn't be too hard to add, but nobody has yet done so.

We looked at SCeditor 2.0 for MyBB 1.8.13, but it wasn't released when we released that version. We're hoping we can get it into 1.8.15 as it should fix a lot of problems in the editor.
For 1.10 (provided we stick with BBCode/MyCode) I would suggest TinyMCE.
(2017-12-04, 02:03 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]For 1.10 (provided we stick with BBCode/MyCode) I would suggest TinyMCE.

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't TinyMCE a HTML editor, so would require a hell of a lot of time a parsing to get it usable for BBCode?

If there were the choice, I would definitely like to see TinyMCE or CKEditor, but if it was a lot of hassle, then maybe something to consider for 2.0 as opposed to 1.10?

It's a shame that HTML is considered vulnerable in posts - it would be great to have a basic CKEditor and then add the native CKEditor plugins to suit it to our needs
(2017-12-04, 04:02 PM)NotAdmin Wrote: [ -> ]Forgive my ignorance, but isn't TinyMCE a HTML editor, so would require a hell of a lot of time a parsing to get it usable for BBCode?

https://www.tinymce.com/docs/plugins/bbcode/

Another option which has been mentioned by someone else here on the forums is possibly switching to Markdown. It might be worth setting up a poll and seeing which implementation the community would prefer.
(2017-12-02, 07:03 AM)albano Wrote: [ -> ]It would be great if the editor would include table insertion.
Pasting in "source mode" off, should force the user to paste in "unformatted" text.
Character count.

That is what I want. Is there a way to achieve this currently?

(2017-12-04, 04:09 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-04, 04:02 PM)NotAdmin Wrote: [ -> ]Forgive my ignorance, but isn't TinyMCE a HTML editor, so would require a hell of a lot of time a parsing to get it usable for BBCode?

https://www.tinymce.com/docs/plugins/bbcode/

Another option which has been mentioned by someone else here on the forums is possibly switching to Markdown. It might be worth setting up a poll and seeing which implementation the community would prefer.

Is there a Markdown Editor for MyBB? I will switch to whatever forum software supports this first, hands down the best idea.
It is really required, in my opnion one of first things to do - to get a new better editor.

I mean, I always write in Source Mode but anyway I think that this editor isn't good enough and I think we really need another one.

Maybe even few of them with options for users or admins to choose which one is suitable mostly for their needs Wink
(2017-12-07, 10:30 PM)Ikerepc Wrote: [ -> ]It is really required, in my opnion one of first things to do - to get a new better editor.

I mean, I always write in Source Mode but anyway I think that this editor isn't good enough and I think we really need another one.

Maybe even few of them with options for users or admins to choose which one is suitable mostly for their needs Wink

Providing support for one editor is difficult enough. providing support for multiple would be an absolute nightmare in my opinion...
Pages: 1 2