MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB CLI Tools
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't think anyone running MyBB would understand that though and it's harder to remember than a simple mybb command.
(2017-12-01, 11:27 PM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think anyone running MyBB would understand that though and it's harder to remember than a simple mybb command.

You don't think people running MyBB on Linux... Understand... Linux? Huh

Don't get me wrong - this would be a tool mostly for very advanced users - the kind running MyBB on a VPS or dedicated server. The name isn't set in stone, but since Euan mentioned that it's more likely to be a PHP script instead of a binary I'd be more confused seeing a file simply called 'mybb.php' when running on the CLI, as opposed to something like:

/usr/bin/php ~/path/to/mybbctl.php --function blah blah
(2017-12-01, 11:27 PM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think anyone running MyBB would understand that though and it's harder to remember than a simple mybb command.

Depends on the percentage of users who do so either on a VPS or a dedicated. I'm not sure what percentage of admins do so under that environment.

But mybbctl is a fine command name.  CLI offers quick input autofill with a few letters.  So likely you'd type only "myb" and autofill the rest.

I'm curious about what else we can come up with for uses on this.  Would be cool to have a feature list even before you start.
I’m certainly open to adding more commands, but we also don’t want to have thousands of different commands to complicate usage. Ideally we’d offer bash completion for subcommands to try help with that.
I agree with that, it would be nice, if 90% of this could be doable from the Control Panel or something.

Perhaps making it possible for super-admins to run the upgrader from within the Control Panel and having it automatically throw the forum into maintenance mode during the process? It would also help in guarding the upgrader from unauthorised runs.
Pages: 1 2