MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Scalability (Object Storage for Images+Attachments)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If I recall, and it's been a year or two, but Factorio uses phpBB for mods for their game and stuff.
But that's for mods, not the game itself and it's some sort of downloads system not the core attachments system.

I'd imagine it's some sort of mod or plugin.
I personally don't like the idea of baking support for proprietary systems in core (should be left to a plugin), though I can't see this being useful to a lot of forums out there.
I do see the attraction of using the attachments system over, say, third party hosting sites (links don't die, users aren't forced to make agreements with third parties etc), though I'm not sure an extravagant attachment system is really a high priority for discussion forum software.
If the number of attachments does grow large enough to overwhelm a typical server (sorry, hundreds of gigabytes is NOT large), there's often options to deal with it. If you're running on AWS, for example, mount a large enough EC2 volume (or use EFS) to deal with it. It might not be the optimal (price-wise) solution that's preferable to you, but it'll work.
As to how MyBB handles attachments as of now, though, I can't really see storage space being the biggest concern if you're hosting many large files.

Note that I don't see avatars being a problem, as they're typically quite limited in size.
Regarding S3 being a proprietary system, there are many alternatives using the S3 protocol (DigitalOcean spaces for example), so I think the protocol itself is fairly open and standardised now.
(2017-12-09, 10:51 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding S3 being a proprietary system, there are many alternatives using the S3 protocol (DigitalOcean spaces for example), so I think the protocol itself is fairly open and standardised now.

So then support DigitalOcean Spaces Smile
Pages: 1 2