MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading when you've renamed Admin folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a question about upgrading MyBB if you had followed the "best practices" advice to rename the "Admin" folder on your original installation.

The upgrade instructions say to replace all of the folders via FTP, including the Admin folder, and then to run /install/

If I had renamed "Admin" to be "Admin2", what would be the exact steps to upgrade?

Do I put the contents of the new "Admin" folder in to my existing "Admin2" folder before running /install/? Or does the installer look for the default "Admin" folder?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Yes, put the contents of the downloaded admin folder into your renamed folder Smile
Before, or after, running the Install script?

And, what about the replacement of the /inc/config.php file, which specifices the "Admin2" folder as being the Admin folder... I'm sorry but I need the exact steps - is the following correct?

1. Upload all of the files (except /inc/settings.php)
2. Put the new Admin files in the existing renamed Admin2 folder
3. Change the new /inc/config.php file to point to Admin2 before running /install/ upgrade? <--- ??
4. Run /install/

Sorry for the newbie questions
- Download the upgrade package. This doesn’t include any files such as inc/settings.php or anything that would cause problems
- Upload all the files, except the content of the new admin directory.
- Upload the content of the new admin directory into your renamed admin directory.
- Run the upgrade script at install/upgrade.php.

Might also be worth reading the documentation regarding upgrades, found here: https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/
I just rename the folder back to admin and in inc/config.php

Upload all the files

Run "Install"

Once finished rename the admin folder and inc/config.php back again to admin2 or whatever you decide to call it.