MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thread tags / keywords
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi.

It would be nice feature there will be function to add thread tags or keywords.

That will be useful if you are searching for certain tag so you can easier find your thread as well as for SEO for your forums
+1 required for SEO, i want it to be in version 1.10.
I'm not sure if it will help with SEO, but I support this being in core provided it can be developed efficiently. The MyTags plugin has performance issues on larger boards.
I think the feature of thread prefixes and tags should be merged so that users can add new tags or use the default/suggested ones, with a possible limit per thread. This could be used within search features.
(2017-12-11, 07:41 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]I think the feature of thread prefixes and tags should be merged so that users can add new tags or use the default/suggested ones, with a possible limit per thread. This could be used within search features.

In my opinion that should not be merged because thread tags can be made by user or you can have many of them for thread and thread prefixes can only be chosen from already aviable ones... Smile
(2017-12-11, 08:04 PM)Ikerepc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-11, 07:41 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]I think the feature of thread prefixes and tags should be merged so that users can add new tags or use the default/suggested ones, with a possible limit per thread. This could be used within search features.

In my opinion that should not be merged because thread tags can be made by user or you can have many of them for thread and thread prefixes can only be chosen from already aviable ones... Smile

Those could be configurable for each forum, unless administrators intend to allow any tags while restricting the selection of prefixes.
(2017-12-11, 08:08 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-11, 08:04 PM)Ikerepc Wrote: [ -> ]

Those could be configurable for each forum, unless administrators intend to allow any tags while restricting the selection of prefixes.

Yes. That's kind of what I had on my mind Smile
I said it elsewhere but topic prefixes and tags are essentially the same thing but with a slightly different appearance.
In other words, MyBB already has tags. You just need the ability to add multiple, and maybe use them in meta tags.

As for user suggested ones, do you really want user provided anything in *your* meta tags? Sounds like a quick way to get your site penalized, but maybe that's a little dramatic. This is one advantage of admin / mod vetted tags.
(2017-12-13, 07:13 AM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]I said it elsewhere but topic prefixes and tags are essentially the same thing but with a slightly different appearance.
In other words, MyBB already has tags. You just need the ability to add multiple, and maybe use them in meta tags.

As for user suggested ones, do you really want user provided anything in *your* meta tags? Sounds like a quick way to get your site penalized, but maybe that's a little dramatic. This is one advantage of admin / mod vetted tags.

In my tag cloud, I allow users to submit any tags they wish (including multiple word tags), but new tags enter a moderation queue.

I am unsure of the value of including a keywords meta tag since most spiders ignore it.
I'm not sure how meta tags will affect SEO for google and such but it could really help the inbuilt mybb search engine.

Sometimes people fumble with words...
For example, a post that is a tutorial might never explicitly mention the word "Tutorial". But if "Tutorial" was included in the tags it would still show up in the mybb search results.

Seems unlikely, but it happens more than you'd think. I've spent a good few hours of my life fruitlessly searching for posts which fit a certain theme but do not explicitly mention said theme on forums.
Pages: 1 2