MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does MyBB have future?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(2018-02-06, 07:57 AM)erickem Wrote: [ -> ]Do this people really need markdown?

I don't understand your question...
(2018-02-06, 09:59 AM)Ikerepc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-06, 07:57 AM)erickem Wrote: [ -> ]Do this people really need markdown?

I don't understand your question...

Do people need markdown? The answer, is yes. BBCode/MyCode is outdated and messy.
I hate markdown. To me it is so unintuitive to have to put two spaces and then hit enter to get something on a new line. Not to also mention the syntax is a lot more difficult to remember.
(2018-02-07, 04:15 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]I hate markdown.  To me it is so unintuitive to have to put two spaces and then hit enter to get something on a new line.  Not to also mention the syntax is a lot more difficult to remember.

Gotta agree with this one. I love more bbcode but I know not everyone will agree so I don't know...
Will there ever be an option to use a 3rd party User management systems?

This would help integrating websites with the forum with 1 login instead of multiple.

I'd rather a better looking page for a landing page than the default MyBB pages from plugins.
Let's face it, MyBB is powered by a team of volunteer contributors. I don't think these guys get paid for their work and they've got careers outside of MyBB that keep them busy. Maybe updates would roll out faster if there was more donations and funding.

I don't think waiting on 2.0 is a big deal because the current version works just fine. What I do agree with is the lack of mobile support and focus. Most visitors these days are on mobile and most themes aren't friendly.
(2018-07-29, 04:35 PM)/r/ Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think waiting on 2.0 is a big deal because the current version works just fine. What I do agree with is the lack of mobile support and focus. Most visitors these days are on mobile and most themes aren't friendly.

There will be v1.9.0 soon, including mobile friendly theme and other improvements Wink
(2018-07-29, 04:35 PM)/r/ Wrote: [ -> ]Let's face it, MyBB is powered by a team of volunteer contributors. I don't think these guys get paid for their work and they've got careers outside of MyBB that keep them busy. Maybe updates would roll out faster if there was more donations and funding.

I don't think waiting on 2.0 is a big deal because the current version works just fine. What I do agree with is the lack of mobile support and focus. Most visitors these days are on mobile and most themes aren't friendly.

I agree with you on this matter, mobile is the way forward and whenever I design a website I work from mobile up to desktop. 
At this stage with social media as well it needs to be somewhat simplistic and easy to engage with but keeping the core actions.
(2018-07-29, 04:35 PM)/r/ Wrote: [ -> ]Let's face it, MyBB is powered by a team of volunteer contributors. I don't think these guys get paid for their work and they've got careers outside of MyBB that keep them busy. Maybe updates would roll out faster if there was more donations and funding.

Maybe this is the problem. They should start looking at moving it towards a commercial/polished product. I remember years ago, Ikon board started out the same exact way that Mybb did. It was open source and free to everyone up to Invision Power Board 1.3. From that point, the developers decided to make the code non open source and they've had great success since that point.

The market is saturated with open source software and I've personally shifted towards commercial software due to the frequencies of updates and support. I love Mybb and it's always been one of my all time favorite open source forums. It has the ability to be great and I think the move to focus on 1.x releases was a great decision by developers. I also agree with their decisions to move some third party plugins into the core. The trends has been moving away from traditional forums and more towards a "community/social" feel of any website. While traditional forums still have their place, it's a very "niche" thing vs 10 years ago. Ease of use is also important - and the end user usually isn't a developer or a techie know how. The easier the software is it use, the more users that software will have. Look at the success of Wordpress. It's successful because it's easy to use - and easy to extend.

Looking forward to see where the roadmap takes mybb. I've got some domains shelved that I could use mybb on.
No MyBB(and majority of forums) don't have a future as long as they don't implement basic push notification capabilities. When a forum I started a week ago has more activity than the site of the software it runs on, it's a problem. Technology has advanced in the last decade and people are used to being able to updated instantly and anywhere. Slowly but surely many are turning to using platforms like discord and reddit to host their communities and they have advantages that are miles about current forum software the biggest is that they're free and recieve support from independent developers in terms of extension. MyBB is slowly going the way off newsgroups and the fact that they pushed MyBB 2.0 indefinitely wis basically the nail in the coffin.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17