MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does MyBB have future?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(2020-06-28, 02:08 AM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]The responsiveness is the only major thing that's really holding it back. Outside of that, little things do add up, but those are not difficult to fix. The authorization code breaking themes is an example of that, among various other things.

MyBB doesn't need a complete rewrite. It wouldn't be MyBB if they did. It's simple things that are holding it back. Not the entire essense of what it is.

MyBB is still the most advanced free software in existence. SMF has some very powerful plugins, but they are difficult to install and SMF itself is stagnant. I haven't really seen many communities that are started today using it. MyBB is still #2, behind phpBB, in terms of popularity for forums that are starting up today. It's still FAR more advanced than alternative free solutions, and it's namely alerts and responsiveness that are holding it back. It doesn't need a rewrite.

Xenforo, IPB, and so forth will always outdo MyBB. They are paid solutions, so that is pretty much to be expected. But phpBB doesn't even have a reputation system built in, and there are no official plugins in the phpbb.com repository that even offer it (at least as of a year ago or so). There is a bit of a divide between free and paid softwares, but that's okay. Xenforo isn't too expensive for someone who needs the functionality of paid software.

Honestly, I don't believe MyBB needs to be rewritten. It wouldn't be MyBB anymore if they did.
phpBB has alerts/notifcations built it, it has a responsive theme by default, it is a more secure platform by far. 

I would not say MyBB is more advanced then phpBB. 

And reputation is really not that important now days, like do you really think a grown person is going to care about a red or green number in there profile?.

I really hope MyBB gets back on track fast because if not it will fade away.
(2020-06-29, 12:54 AM)Furious Wrote: [ -> ]phpBB has alerts/notifcations built it, it has a responsive theme by default, it is a more secure platform by far. 

MyBB will have a responsive theme by default soon. I don't see the point, personally - you're only going to install a new theme anyway.
(2020-06-29, 12:54 AM)Furious Wrote: [ -> ]And reputation is really not that important now days, like do you really think a grown person is going to care about a red or green number in there profile?.
The reputation system is VERY important. It's not about whether you care about it or not, it indicates for readers/members whose advice they should trust more, etc.

Reputation addons are much sought after for Xenforo too but to this day they have nothing like the awesome MyBB reputation system. Many people who buy Xenforo and miss this great functionality there learn to appreciate MyBB even more.

The alerts/responsiveness argument is ridiculous at this point, MyBB has great alerts plugin, also many responsive themes, soon it will have default responsive theme too.
(2020-06-30, 06:52 AM)Johnny98 Wrote: [ -> ]The reputation system is VERY important. It's not about whether you care about it or not, it indicates for readers/members whose advice they should trust more, etc.

I wouldn't go that far. The only thing the reputation system does is push ingrained members who have been on a site so long, regardless of their contributions -- and toss to the wayside members who haven't got so many posts, but still post things of value to the site. Personally, I find it to be a gimmick (and couldn't care less about my 110 rep here, for example, 110 is just a number). I find that it's best to take each post at face value.

I can see why it may be desirable in some communities, and the code already exists, so removing it would be superfluous.
I don't think mybb is gonna fade away. It's a more advance and secure platform
(2020-06-30, 06:52 AM)Johnny98 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-06-29, 12:54 AM)Furious Wrote: [ -> ]And reputation is really not that important now days, like do you really think a grown person is going to care about a red or green number in there profile?.
The reputation system is VERY important. It's not about whether you care about it or not, it indicates for readers/members whose advice they should trust more, etc.

Reputation addons are much sought after for Xenforo too but to this day they have nothing like the awesome MyBB reputation system. Many people who buy Xenforo and miss this great functionality there learn to appreciate MyBB even more.

The alerts/responsiveness argument is ridiculous at this point, MyBB has great alerts plugin, also many responsive themes, soon it will have default responsive theme too.
It also shows how active you are in a community but I do feel it needs a rewrite maybe having it as a reaction than a number.
Long life for MyBB  Heart
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17