MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does MyBB have future?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
It will most probably work for 1.9 and it is hard to predict about 1.10 as it is months if not even year(s) from developing it, so we don't know what exactly will be changed and inplemented to that.

But most probably it will require some changes.

However, you can make it as version 1.9 is like to be out for few months, than 1.10 will require much more time. So it will be actiual working plugin for next months if not even year(s).
(2017-12-19, 11:00 PM)iagovar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-19, 08:03 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-19, 04:24 PM)iagovar Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, Ill have to wait until I rebuild everything before update... well... in that's what is coming I have no choice.

Also, how much time are we talking about until that? Are we in a months basis? year? +1 year? I'm looking into developing a plugin so I need this info. If it's close In time I'll wait until the update, if not, I may do it.

It depends on how development goes, but I doubt it will take a year to complete. I'd hope to have an alpha or beta version out by June or July of 2018 for 1.9.

If I develop a plugin to the 1.8 core, will it be hard work to make it functional into 1.10? I mean, templating is not that hard, the problem would be logic. I'm basically planning dating profiles and rich member search, so you can guess what I'm looking to to.

It'll be a multiple step process across releases. With the roadmap I posted earlier in this thread, you'd need to update the plugin to handle the changes to the template system and the new responsive theme for 1.9, then possibly 6 months - year after that you might need to make more changes for 1.10, then the same again for 1.11, etc. We'll provide detailed guides and explanations of the changes to try and ease this process as much as possible though.
Euan T I don't want to be a drain here, but what exactly in the roadmap extends these advancements to 2+ years? I would expect maybe 3-4 months max with each of those upgrades. I think most of the listed changes could be worked out fairly cleanly in that time. Especially if it's mostly incorporating 3rd party components and building existing plugins into the core. I think the approach is good, I'm just concerned with the time it could take.
(2017-12-20, 11:35 PM)Tactrus Wrote: [ -> ]Euan T I don't want to be a drain here, but what exactly in the roadmap extends these advancements to 2+ years? I would expect maybe 3-4 months max with each of those upgrades.  I think most of the listed changes could be worked out fairly cleanly in that time. Especially if it's mostly incorporating 3rd party components and building existing plugins into the core. I think the approach is good, I'm just concerned with the time it could take.

it really depends on how much time and help the team has to help develop the software.
(2017-12-21, 08:30 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-20, 11:35 PM)Tactrus Wrote: [ -> ]Euan T I don't want to be a drain here, but what exactly in the roadmap extends these advancements to 2+ years? I would expect maybe 3-4 months max with each of those upgrades.  I think most of the listed changes could be worked out fairly cleanly in that time. Especially if it's mostly incorporating 3rd party components and building existing plugins into the core. I think the approach is good, I'm just concerned with the time it could take.

it really depends on how much time and help the team has to help develop the software.

This exactly. MyBB is a volunteer project, none of us are paid to commit time to it. I'm sure if we all worked on it 8 hours a day five days a week then your 3 - 4 months estimate might indeed be correct. We all have real lives though, be that a mixture of school, work or family commitments.

Don't forget the dev's have other stuff to do, including their real lives, They aint paid for what they do here, but 1.8 is still good, i prefer it, not to keen on the 2.0 look, But i like the 1.8 forum view.

As the Guinness ad says, all good things come to those who wait ;-)
(2017-12-18, 07:18 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, so how about this as a roadmap for the future:
  • Plan for a 1.9.0 release as the next major release. This release would:
    • Bump required PHP vesion to PHP 7.0 in anticipation for the future. [DONE]
    • Implement Twig as a template engine. [IN-PROGRESS]
    • Introduce Composer to manage 3rd party dependencies and provide autoloading [DONE]
    • Introduce the SwiftMailer library to handle the sending of emails, fixing compatibiltiy issues with different SMTP hosts. [DONE]
    • Introduce a brand new theme which would be fully responsive and mobile ready. [IN-PROGRESS]
  • It would be great if this 1.9 version were to be released in the next few months. I love this platform but I hate that it's not mobile friendly. It has detrimental effects on SE rankings, traffic and of course earnings.
  • (2017-12-20, 11:35 PM)Tactrus Wrote: [ -> ]Euan T I don't want to be a drain here, but what exactly in the roadmap extends these advancements to 2+ years? I would expect maybe 3-4 months max with each of those upgrades.  I think most of the listed changes could be worked out fairly cleanly in that time. Especially if it's mostly incorporating 3rd party components and building existing plugins into the core. I think the approach is good, I'm just concerned with the time it could take.

The 2+ years would be for us to reach the point of a 1.12 release. In my head, it would be awesome if we could achieve a major release every 6 months, and get into that release cycle. It all depends on developer time and resources though. Some of the changes (like rewriting every single template to use Twig, or rewriting every query to use a query builder library) are fairly large changes and take longer to complete. Others are obviously much smaller.
    One upgrade can have so many bugs, so that 2+ years is worth it.
    Looking forward to these upgrades soon, keep up the good work. Smile
    (2017-12-21, 05:18 PM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]
    (2017-12-18, 07:18 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, so how about this as a roadmap for the future:
    • Plan for a 1.9.0 release as the next major release. This release would:
      • Bump required PHP vesion to PHP 7.0 in anticipation for the future. [DONE]
      • Implement Twig as a template engine. [IN-PROGRESS]
      • Introduce Composer to manage 3rd party dependencies and provide autoloading [DONE]
      • Introduce the SwiftMailer library to handle the sending of emails, fixing compatibiltiy issues with different SMTP hosts. [DONE]
      • Introduce a brand new theme which would be fully responsive and mobile ready. [IN-PROGRESS]
  • It would be great if this 1.9 version were to be released in the next few months. I love this platform but I hate that it's not mobile friendly. It has detrimental effects on SE rankings, traffic and of course earnings.
  • I agree that there is a real emergency for the responsive design.  I don't think waiting is an option if MyBB wants to remain relevant going forward.  I think they risk everyone moving to another software or a fork.  

Given the many years wait for 2.0 I don't think much patience is left from the community. 1.8x imho was a fail.  Jquery was added and some template changes.  Other than that it's not a better experience for users.  It's full of bugs and is not up to standards even when it was released. 

If MyBB doesn't step on the gas and get a truly responsive design in a relatively fast time frame I don't see how MyBB is going to keep their relevance in the forum software realm.  If it's going to take a year to get this done then why bother at all? 

Anyone can do a responsive design on MyBB.  It can be done quickly.  Within weeks even.  If adding Twig is going to slow the process down then skip that part of it.  There already designs for MyBB which are responsive but these break updates and plugins. 

Please please please....stop all other work and just focus on redesigning the pages to be responsive.  If you did that everything else will fall into place.  If you keep up this lack of momentum MyBB is going to become a dinosaur and extinct.
  • Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17