MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disable IP banning?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to be able to ban accounts, but not IP's.
Right now if I ban an account the IP's are also blocked by default, how do I turn that option off completely?
Well that's weird if you ban an account it doesn't ban your IP unless you IP Ban them. If you ban an account it doesn't prevent you from signing up again, If you IP ban then you won't be able to register again unless you change your IP.

I'm sure there's no option to actually turn it off, it's a default system that comes with MyBB so your probably ip banning them or one of your staff members doing it. The only way to check is to go to Admin CP > Users & Groups > Banning > Banned IPs
(2017-12-17, 07:39 PM)Livewire Wrote: [ -> ]Well that's weird if you ban an account it doesn't ban your IP unless you IP Ban them. If you ban an account it doesn't prevent you from signing up again, If you IP ban then you won't be able to register again unless you change your IP.

I'm sure there's no option to actually turn it off, it's a default system that comes with MyBB so your probably ip banning them or one of your staff members doing it. The only way to check is to go to Admin CP > Users & Groups > Banning > Banned IPs

How do IP ban someone then? Is it only via the purge spammer button?
(2017-12-17, 07:54 PM)bluedagger Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-17, 07:39 PM)Livewire Wrote: [ -> ]Well that's weird if you ban an account it doesn't ban your IP unless you IP Ban them. If you ban an account it doesn't prevent you from signing up again, If you IP ban then you won't be able to register again unless you change your IP.

How do IP ban someone then? Is it only via the purge spammer button?

Well if you purge ban them then yes it automatically bans their IP address but there's no option to disable it. Once you ban them you could always go to Banned IPs and remove it from there.
Looking for the answer to this as well...

How to disable IP banning? I turned on Cloudflare and my own IP got banned. How to disable this auto-IP banning?
Actually If you're banning your own IP then it's likely you're actually banning Cloudflare IPs.

Do you have the real IP in the logs or the CF IPs? Check new registrations and member IPs to see if indeed you're getting the real IP. If not then you have to make the changes based on your host and which service you use (Apache or Nginx).
I would really just like to turn this off. It's caused me too many headaches over the years. How to disable this IP banning? Cloudlfare is now off and it's still happening.
When you ban an account it does not ban an IP address. There's no option to disable IP banning currently, just don't use it. To ban an IP you either have to Purge the account or ACP > Configuration > Banning > Banned IPs.

If you want to re-enable Cloudflare then make sure you also mark Scrutinize User's IP address? as Yes which can be found in Server and Optimization Options . It'll give you the correct IP next time when banning.