MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: putting plugins into the core
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Obviously some plugins are crap or just too old...but there are a lot of plugins that are good....and seem like they should be in the core of MyBB. But it seems like you plan to just leave them out to be future plugins for the next MyBB instead of making them into the core. Wouldnt that be how mybb advances? to keep adding plugins into the core to make mybb more customizable?

I know it would take on an extra workload but some of them seem like common sense to me. For one those that use a TON of plugins have to deactivate them all to update MyBB. If most of the used plugins are in the core, then that wouldnt need to be required. I have had a lot of problems with plugins to get them working, so once i get them working, i dont even want to deactivate them, and just let my MyBB get outdated because of it. 

Allow core edits to be maintained after an update. Some plugins change things that get reverted when updated, or even manually changing the core files. Is there a way to; when you update to not mess with such core edits? Like update the files as you changed them, but retain the file edits that we made (unless we changed the part that is in the update). If more plugins were in the core, then updating wouldnt be a problem changing the core, because it would be default. 

I know not all people might want such features, but you can easily make a shutoff switch in ACP. 

Here are some (not all) plugins that i cant believe is not in MyBB core. I know some are a heavier workload but some are just simple core edits with an ACP option. There are more that i have installed that i think are cool, but not required in the core.  Each of the following is not adding a large special feature like a shoutbox or something, its just editing existing. We should be able to force users to change passwords, turn off/one announcements easily, revert someones edited post and review edits, make template conditionals, change a posts timestamp, etc. with default MyBB. 

[/url]
Quote:[url=https://github.com/MattRogowski/Awaiting-Activation-Message]Awaiting Activation Message (1.8.0)
Activate Users from Mod CP (1.1)
Admins can log into Users' accounts (1.2)
Announcement (2.4.1)
Edit History Log (1.3)
Fast Quote (1.2.0)
Facebook Open Graph Meta Tags (1.1)
Force Password Change (1.3)
Google SEO (1.8.0)
Inline Success Messages (2.0)
My Insert Buttons (3.0.0)
My Insert Command (1.0.1)
No Links Allowed (0.1)
Note moderator (2.0)
OUGC Admin Post Edit (1.0)
Template Conditionals (1.8)
Page Manager (1.5.2)
Portal Announcement Cut Off. (1.0)
Redirect after registration (1.0)
Related Threads (1.0.1)
Disable Special Characters in Usernames (1.4)
Trash Bin (1.1.2)
YourCode (2.1)
(2017-12-19, 09:10 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]Allow core edits to be maintained after an update. Some plugins change things that get reverted when updated, or even manually changing the core files. Is there a way to; when you update to not mess with such core edits?

This plugin, 'Patches', provides exactly what you need within 1.8 to maintain your core edits.

https://github.com/frostschutz/MyBB-Patches
ok first of all, i wish i had known about that years ago, and secondly, why isnt stuff like this in the core?
(2017-12-19, 09:15 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]why isnt stuff like this in the core?

Because it's a very bad idea to allow average users the ability to arbitrarily edit core files from within the ACP. That kind of functionality is considered dangerous and I would only recommend experienced forum owners to use that plugin. If an attacker can get access to your ACP, they could use the patches plugin (or identical core feature as you're suggesting) to edit a file such as /member.php (a file responsible for handling authentication input) and start logging your user's passwords in plaintext.
I say no, we are never going to agree which plugins should be included. I only use three of those you listed and have no intention of using the others.

I still say a basic model with no plugins is the way to go and we add what we want to customise it, not fill it up with loads of unwanted plugins.
(2017-12-20, 02:01 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]I say no, we are never going to agree which plugins should be included. I only use three of those you listed and have no intention of using the others.

I still say a basic model with no plugins is the way to go and we add what we want to customise it, not fill it up with loads of unwanted plugins.

I have to agree with you.

MyBB should be simple to start with and you can add plugins as you wish later.

Some important ones can be implemented but most of them if not all are unnecessary for most of boards and use space, makes coding more complex as well as fixing bugs.

Especially for new users who started to use MyBB and don't know what to do with whole bunch of functions.

But in the other hand, actually there is idea that MyBB come out without all that functions and than MyBB will officialy annouce some of plugins so everyone can be sure they are good and safe if they use them.

Also we were talking about some easier way of using and implementing them if we choose to annouce offical plugins to forum but that's long way ahead.
I agree with adding some plugins to the core. As others have said, determining which to add is difficult, however I think plugins which significantly improve MyBB should be added. Everyone knows plugins don't always work as intended. Possibly the plugin is coded poorly or breaks with a new MyBB update. Having the functionality added to the core ensures the functionality is there and works properly because it's likely been coded by the official devs.
(2017-12-20, 02:40 PM)Tactrus Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with adding some plugins to the core. As others have said, determining which to add is difficult, however I think plugins which significantly improve MyBB should be added. Everyone knows plugins don't always work as intended. Possibly the plugin is coded poorly or breaks with a new MyBB update. Having the functionality added to the core ensures the functionality is there and works properly because it's likely been coded by the official devs.

Yes. But we don't need too much of them if they will never be used by most of forums.
And this with ensuring that it will work properly can be solved if some important plugins are done by MyBB Group.
Then only upload of them can be problem, but if we implement some simple plugin upload function that makes this whole thing a lot easier Big Grin

But this about new versions is still problem here... I don't know exactly how to fix that... But whole bunch of unnecessary functions on forum is not a best solution in my opinion
Addons are just that because they add extra functionality that is not a must for the average forum. If you find that you do need or want some specific functionality for your board, it's nice if there's a plugin for it. I think this model works.

I appreciate upgrading might be a pain if your board relies on good amount of plugins, but that's just the way it is.
Quote:I say no, we are never going to agree which plugins should be included. I only use three of those you listed and have no intention of using the others. 
Yes but that is why there would be options to shut the others off. You might not use SMTP or php mail for mail handling, but can shut the opposite off (whatever you are not using off). Or you can choose not to do any mail at all. Plugins added into the core cant do the same thing?

I can tell you i use every day each and every one of these plugins listed. I couldnt imagine MyBB without it. 

Smilies are in the core but a feature to change post edits is not? or reinstate perm deleted threads? Its seem ludicrous. If plugins keep getting updated for every mybb version then the people who use mybb want that feature. It seems only plausible to implement that feature into mybb core. What is mybb 4.0 going to be then, the same thing as 1.8 with updated security features for that time frame?  No new features such as implementing some plugins to make things easier for mybb users and admins?

I can understand not putting in Patches to stop newbies from editing their core...that makes sense I guess. But some of the others are just common addition features. Things that add more functionality to MyBB. 

If your trying to make it simplistic for new users, why not have a simple version, and a fork of that with an advanced version with all the bells and whistles? Although it seems like it would be more simple to just add a toggle feature to turn them on or off. You dont want them, turn it off then. Or dont turn it on ...whatever is default. 

Quote:Then only upload of them can be problem, but if we implement some simple plugin upload function that makes this whole thing a lot easier
I find uploading easy. Its not rocket science to put /inc/plugins/plugin_name.php from the plugin in /inc/plugins directory or to put {$some_variable} in some template, etc. Just as long as the author implements a github readme. However some of them are tricky and glitchy, once you get it to work, there is no way you want to deactivate it and update mybb. I am still on 1.8.7 because i installed so many plugins, changed core edits. I logged what i changed....but some plugins will get messed up if i was to update. At this point i might as well just wait for 1.10...but then i know none of the plugins i use will be updated for that....so then i might wait even longer to update. By the time 1.10 plugins are updated, 1.12 or 2.0 might be out , etc. and then the whole cycle repeats itself. If the plugins were in the core (or at least the major ones), it would be a lot easier.

There are some plugins that were implemented from 1.6 into 1.8 core. The purge spammer button is one i can think of that i remember adding as a plugin in 1.6. That is how it should be. It is very nice not to have to deal with some of the 1.6 plugins as its now in 1.8 core. The same should be said about 1.8 plugins into 1.10 core.

Quote:Because it's a very bad idea to allow average users the ability to arbitrarily edit core files from within the ACP. That kind of functionality is considered dangerous and I would only recommend experienced forum owners to use that plugin. If an attacker can get access to your ACP, they could use the patches plugin (or identical core feature as you're suggesting) to edit a file such as /member.php (a file responsible for handling authentication input) and start logging your user's passwords in plaintext.
my vanilla MyBB was hacked in the past without plugins. The only thing that saved the forum was snapshots to take a screenshot of the server in which i reinstated. I dont really trust MyBB....or even my server anymore after being hacked. I now just trust snapshots to reinstate the server to before the server was hacked....and try to find the vulnerability after reinstating it. Yes the DB was dumbed (or at least they threatened it if we didnt pay...and we did not)...but its not like we are a bank.  But i can understand that would be the reason why not implementing such a feature into the core though to help minimize vulnerabilities.

man....i really wish i knew about patches plugin a couple years ago. I have a list of core edits/template changes/etc. thats a mile long.
Pages: 1 2 3