MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestion: Automatic Mark Forum As Read
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I see that you've been tweaking the "Jump to first new post" feature. (The arrows now disapper when you click them)

So here's a suggestion: I'd like, when all the topics in a forum have been read, for the whole forum to be marked as "read". Might be tricky to implement for subforums, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Does nobody read these suggestions then? It would be nice to have a reply, if only to say that someone's seen it Sad
I think that your suggestion is already implemented but there are bugs: http://www.mybboard.com/community/showth...hp?tid=250

(I could be wrong though)
Well I agree with this suggestion. It's one of the most important features I look for in a forum.
Sorry, i have had some personal things recently i have had to deal with.

With the 'mark forum as read when all posts in the forum are read', the problem is, how do you determine if all of the posts in the forum have actually been marked as read?
Well the place to start would be how did you make it so the threads can appear as read?
IPB uses a system whereby if all the threads on the first page of forum view are read, then the forum getrs marked as read.

It's a bit of a dirty hack but, largely, it works.
Well, thats an interesting method - not to copy IPB but i may add something similar in to MyBB.

Things would be so much easier if we could simply do a totally persistent marking system..
It's funny you should mention that, because IPB 2.0 has that... :p

They use the database to store "read" topics as opposed to cookies (which is superior, since, in MSIE, cookies can get too long and you actually start seeing them at the top of the page >_< )
Peter Hall Wrote:It's funny you should mention that, because IPB 2.0 has that... :p

They use the database to store "read" topics as opposed to cookies (which is superior, since, in MSIE, cookies can get too long and you actually start seeing them at the top of the page >_< )
Wouldn't they store "unread" topics instead? Therefore, it has an expiration date which keeps the database size down.
I don't know, I am just asking. Smile
Pages: 1 2