MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ability to set (minimum/maximum) thread subject length
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi team -

It would be nice to have as a core functionality the ability to set the minimum/maximum character length for the thread subject.

It particularly bothers me when users initiate new threads with words like "hi," "hello," "just posting here," "what's up," "me again."

Yes, there's a plugin out there to make this happen, but I feel this should be a core feature, since there's a core feature to set the length of the post.
There is an option to set the max, but not the min...in config/general adjustments/subject length.

I would have to agree that it makes sense to add min thread subjects. We also get posts that people just put "Help". Its quite annoying. It would reduce the workload for mods dramatically. 

I would even love for a method to ban the certain words/sequences from thread titles.  It would help reduce spam for ones that start a thread with +81 or something that no real person would start a thread with. It would also stop people from posting dumb thread titles like "help", or "I need help", or  "Can you please help me" regardless of title length, but is a horrible title.
There is no such section called 'general adjustment' in the latest version of myBB configuration. How do I find this option?
(2019-11-15, 12:21 AM)Richard_E Wrote: [ -> ]There is no such section called 'general adjustment' in the latest version of myBB configuration. How do I find this option?

This thread is about 1.10 branch (development), you're using the 1.8.
Whatever you wish to achieve, keep in mind that the length is restricted by the database.
So any possible configuration within MyBB can only be to set a maximum value that matches the field length of the table schema.

I do not recommend to make this an option and let the forum system manipulate database structures.
if there is a need to have titles longer than standard, then change the table structure before the board goes live.

[ExiTuS]