MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: This post is being edited
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is rather specific, so I'm hoping it is an easy plugin because I know anything complex won't be worth it as I will likely be the only user!

What I need is a small note to signify when a post is currently being edited

Possible?
You can see the time and who edited a post. Theirs not a current way to see currently seeing edited. I don't see a real reason for it.
do you want to show that message only to the person who is actually editing the post ?
(2018-01-03, 06:03 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]do you want to show that message only to the person who is actually editing the post ?

No - I would like the message to be viewable by all members

(2018-01-03, 02:31 AM)Hashew Wrote: [ -> ]You can see the time and who edited a post. Theirs, not a current way to see currently seeing edited. I don't see a real reason for it.

As I said, a rather specific request!

For me, it is to compliment a custom plugin (many thanks to Wildcard!) where certain Original Posts can be edited by any user.  Issue is some members are unwittingly overwritting other members edits

However, it could also be useful to moderators, as a moderator would be able to see if another moderator is in the process of moderating a post (or the poster can see the post is being edited, so he doesn't unwittingly overite a moderators edit)
Hi NotAdmin,

That sounds like a good idea for your specific situation, but it is also going to be complex.

First of all, how would you define "being edited"? If a user goes to full edit page for that PID, is that "being edited"? The user could easily click away from the page without changing anything; leave the edited page up and walk away from the PC (meaning the message would show for 15 minutes until the user was marked offline); or they could actually make an edit.

Then there is Quick Edit, which is fraught by much of the same problems.

You could hook into the post data handler and monitor when that particular post is updated. But then what? You would still need to know when a user is editing so that you can AJAX the message to them— which goes back to the first paragraph of this post.

Then only way I can think of off the top of my head would be to poll every x seconds while the user is in quick edit mode on that PID and display the last update time stamp. The main issue then would be to write some JavaScript to anticipate the edit button being click on that particular post.

When I started typing this, I didn't really think it was feasible, but thinking on the last paragraph, that might be the best answer.

What do you think?

EDIT: Also, you could do a check at Quick Edit->Save that won't allow the editing user to submit, if the content has changed (or at least notifies them)
I think a quick message would be more than fitting - if it is only for Quick Edit, that would be fine

Smile
on a side note, may be its better to use Edit History Log plugin ( Related Thread )
(2018-01-04, 02:36 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]on a side note, may be its better to use Edit History Log plugin ( Related Thread )

Works well to fix any issues, but I rather have a preemptive way of preventing cross edits

As I said, a quick popup message would be fine (possible?)