MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The mail server is not ready, it did not respond with a 220 status message.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

admin/index.php?module=tools-mailerrors is logging the following:

Quote:The mail server is not ready, it did not respond with a 220 status message.
Settings below (blanked out the real hostname and email address for privacy reasons):
[Image: On0v90z.png]

This is a cPanel server.

Any ideas?
Possibly stupid question, but have you tried sending an email from a desktop email client (such as Thunderbird) using the same settings?

The current SMTP implementation in 1.8 is a little bit finicky and doesn't handle failure or weird server setups very well at all unforutnately.
I have the same problem. But when i restart my mailserver. Then MyBB can send Mails through it for about 10 minutes before i get the same "The mail server is not ready, it did not respond with a 220 status message." error.

My mailserver ist hosted by myself on another virtual server with postfix/dovecot.

The logs on my mailserver dont show any connection from MyBB at all.

I use it with Outlook/Thunderbird and Samsung Mail without any problems for about 2 weeks now. Mails get sent and received quickly within 5 Seconds. I think MyBB requires a small variation of mailserversetups to run properly. For now i use my old "gmail SMTP relay" to send registration mails.
My guess your shared server maybe blocked by your mail server security, so its a guess i can't suggest anything just by assuming you are not getting 220 response code you said any other applications that uses your mail server are working fine so here are some questions,
Are you using IP or fqdn on MyBB as well as on other applications?
Can you cross check the configuration on MyBB as well as on your applications for TLS/SSL setup, Port, server and authentication credentials.

As per my experience with mybb i used several mail providers including my own smtp relay and every single one of them are working fine as for now i uses my own server for my mail needs and its working just fine.
And for the conclusion i am using mailpile mail suite to do that.