MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Profanity in generted password?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is highly unlikely to occur. I also doubt many people would find it offensive given it's not intentional. Also a blacklist as you're suggesting would be impossible to implement. You would need a dictionary of much more than just F*CK or S*IT. There are 8 characters so you could have variations like xxFUUaCK, CUUUUzNT, LILBiTch, etc.

A more viable solution could be to use numbers and symbols instead of letters.
(2018-01-04, 12:55 AM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-03, 05:42 PM)skyhound Wrote: [ -> ]Your final point is quite true, but unless it is going to be implemented soon, I believe the small investment in coding time to check the strings would be well worth it.

Small investment? You really aren't thinking this through.

In order to filter like you are suggesting, we would have to create a black list for every offensive combination possible in EVERY language. This is just a little bit ridiculous.

Why complicate something simple? I see no reason to go crazy. As I already said, it seems clear that there are a few choice words that are more sensitive than others. That, and only those with four or fewer characters would be likely to occur, so you can safely ignore the rest. Heck, if you only checked for one English word, 95% of the problem goes away. Sometimes an easy fix is not a slippery slope toward a difficult one. Sometimes its just an easy fix.
(2018-01-04, 03:12 AM)skyhound Wrote: [ -> ]Why complicate something simple?

That's what I am asking you. Tell your forum member that it is a one in a million (or more) chance that happened and to ignore it.

(2018-01-04, 03:12 AM)skyhound Wrote: [ -> ]As I already said, it seems clear that there are a few choice words that are more sensitive than others.

Okay, fine. Please give us a list of words that YOU find offensive and we can start there. One word? Ten Words? 100 words?

When you try to put too fine a point on an incident that was purely chance then you run the risk of looking silly.
(2018-01-04, 03:04 AM)Tactrus Wrote: [ -> ]A more viable solution could be to use numbers and symbols instead of letters.

That's no good either. People will complain about 666 or 911 and whatnot.
(2018-01-04, 12:02 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-04, 03:12 AM)skyhound Wrote: [ -> ]Why complicate something simple?

That's what I am asking you. Tell your forum member that it is a one in a million (or more) chance that happened and to ignore it.

(2018-01-04, 03:12 AM)skyhound Wrote: [ -> ]As I already said, it seems clear that there are a few choice words that are more sensitive than others.

Okay, fine. Please give us a list of words that YOU find offensive and we can start there. One word? Ten Words? 100 words?

When you try to put too fine a point on an incident that was purely chance then you run the risk of looking silly.

I give up. Do what you want.
I don't know of one, but is there a way to check that the email did actually include the profanity. ?

I'm not saying the member is lying, but if there was a way of seeing the original that was sent by the system you would at least be sure. It won't solve the problem of profanity going out in the email password, but by knowing for sure would help in talking with the member about it.
Pages: 1 2