MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Transferring/Rerouting Hosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To Whom This May Concern:

I currently am one of the staff members on a website hosted by MyBB. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons, a fellow staff member who is currently hosting the site, has left and has effectively held the site hostage and threatened to delete it multiple times. 

I was wondering what steps I need to take in order for me to reroute the hosting so that this potential threat does not actually come to fruition and how quickly it can be done. I need to know the proper channels so I, and the rest of the members of the board, don't see it vanished or completely shut down when we wake up one morning to get on the board.

Thanks in advance,
Eden
I am not sure if I understood the whole situation correctly...

By "a website hosted by MyBB" you probably mean a Website based on MyBB? 

If the person who is currently hosting the board, owns the server, you can't just re-route it. 
You can only re-route the domain, if you have access to the Domain management of the Registrar.

If you have full ACP access, you may be able to make a backup of the whole board.
Then you can host it somewhere else. 
If you have access to the Registrar, you can point your domain to the new server.

However, if that person owns the domain as well, I'm afraid all you can do is wait for it to expire.  

As for Data protection and similar, once you downloaded all resources needed from the ACP, delete as much as possible. Just keep in mind that person could still have backups.

In summary: 

- Backup everything necessary in the ACP and download it. 
  - Get hosting somewhere else.
  - Point the domain to the new server or get a new domain until the old one expired.
  - Delete as much as possible from the old board hosted by that person.
(2018-05-15, 09:10 AM)NullDev Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure if I understood the whole situation correctly...

By "a website hosted by MyBB" you probably mean a Website based on MyBB? 

If the person who is currently hosting the board, owns the server, you can't just re-route it. 
You can only re-route the domain, if you have access to the Domain management of the Registrar.

If you have full ACP access, you may be able to make a backup of the whole board.
Then you can host it somewhere else. 
If you have access to the Registrar, you can point your domain to the new server.

However, if that person owns the domain as well, I'm afraid all you can do is wait for it to expire.  

As for Data protection and similar, once you downloaded all resources needed from the ACP, delete as much as possible. Just keep in mind that person could still have backups.

In summary: 

- Backup everything necessary in the ACP and download it. 
  - Get hosting somewhere else.
  - Point the domain to the new server or get a new domain until the old one expired.
  - Delete as much as possible from the old board hosted by that person.

Exactly Smile
You can refer this tutorial for backup and restore:-
https://wallbb.co.uk/mybb-forum-backup-r...-tutorial/

Also these days, hosting people transfer your websites for free, so contact your hosting to transfer your website easily.