MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a reminder, 1.9 is not adding any new features outside of those that are already planned, which are almost entirely centered around the new theme and improvements related to the theme and template system. This is not a thread for feature requests.

(2018-09-08, 03:14 PM)Supryk Wrote: [ -> ]1.9 will have options unreaded posts?

I don't know what you mean by this.
View New Posts
View Today's posts

View Unread Posts
(2018-09-10, 09:52 AM)Supryk Wrote: [ -> ]View New Posts
View Today's posts

View Unread Posts

1.9 will have the same search features as 1.8.
I haven't found a better place to ask, so I'll ask here even though it's about the development roadmap, the whole process for 1.x.
The question is: since it seems that 1.9, 1.10, etc. will be "big" updates that are going to introduce pretty "radical" changes (think of the template system for example), I'm wondering if such releases will be considered separate "branches" and they will get at least security updates for some time. So this means that after 1.9 is released, if a security bug is discovered that is also present in 1.8.x, the vulnerability will be fixed in both 1.9.x AND 1.8.x, therefore providing support for security updates for some time (at least a few months, maybe a year, I don't know).

I think this is important because 1.x releases are probably going to break backward compatibility (for example the change in template system, it's basically a major release), so there are probably going to be several themes or plugins that don't work anymore after such updates. Users and developers will need some time AFTER the official release to test everything or update third-party stuff. If no support for security is given for old "branches", then a lot of forums might be vulnerable for some time because they won't be able to update safely.
It's been done that way for past releases. At some point it's dead though and you run old version at your own risk.
Once 1.9x is released, 1.8x will be supported for up to a year after. That’s the way it usually is.
A note about the new theme.
Please, if possible, try to add some meaningful classes in "strategic" places that might be useful to customize the theme with only CSS, without having to edit the HTML in the template (and therefore making maintenance much easier). For example, this might mean to add some classes to the <body> tag, like "home-page", "forumdisplay-page", etc., or add some descriptive classes to specific sections of the forum (for example "user-profile", "pm-list", etc.). All this to make customization easier, and to avoid a problem that I think I noticed in the old theme (1.8.x) where for example I wanted to remove a column in a table, but the selector then applied to other pages as well, and there wasn't an easy way to specify "only that table in that page", for example. Or like, if you want to remove the breadcrumbs only in the home page, you can't if you don't have a specific class for the home page (usually placed in the <body> tag). Using classes containing the username or user-id, or the user type, or the state of the thread, etc. you could even apply different styles to different situations, and so on.

Some kind of classes might be overkill, others might be a good idea, anyway, this is just something I wanted to mention. It might also be an improvement to implement later on if you think it's not worth doing it now, because after all if you just add some useful classes around it isn't going to break any compatibility, so in theory it could also be done in a patch release later.
Will plugins from 1.8 be compatible with 1.9?
(2018-09-14, 11:16 AM)codedude Wrote: [ -> ]Will plugins from 1.8 be compatible with 1.9?

No. Plugins are nothing to worry about. They will come around as soon as a responsive theme is released.
(2018-09-14, 11:23 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-14, 11:16 AM)codedude Wrote: [ -> ]Will plugins from 1.8 be compatible with 1.9?

No. Plugins are nothing to worry about. They will come around as soon as a responsive theme is released.

For the most part that is true, however, there are a few plugins that I have read about that are NOT compatible with the newer versions of PHP 7.x.x. 

Some of the plugins were created during the PHP 5.x.x days and have not been upgraded to be compatible with 7.x.x. 

Just be aware of this possible limitation.

Themes? Well... that's a different story. 
Many themes may NOT be compatible with the new MyBB 1.9.xx, so it's wise for admins to check with the theme maker to see if they have plans to make their themes compatible with 1.9.xx.
To all ADMINS: Don't wait until the day that MyBB 1.9.xx is released to check if your current theme (customized or non-default) is ready or not. 
Ask the theme makers *NOW*. (I have and the theme maker assured me that my customized theme will be 1.9.xx compatible)
Don't wait until the last minute.