MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-09-17, 08:04 AM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-17, 07:12 AM)fishntassie Wrote: [ -> ]@Ashley1 i do agree that some themes may not be you bute dynamic works of art and plugin wise things may not be to what you want, but there are a lot of custom plugins done ...

With a few exceptions, the themes being released here are mostly rips of other people's work. When a themehouse gives away their MyBB themes for free, that should indicate to you what the level of interest in MyBB really is  Sad

Then you have people coming on here promoting the idea that a custom theme should be no more than $40  Huh

when the reality outside this forum is completely different.

I see you're saying that I am out of touch with reality. Nice going.
(2018-09-17, 05:13 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]I see you're saying that I am out of touch with reality. Nice going.

That's not what was said: What was said is that what you think is happening, and what is the case in the real world are two different things.

If I want a full-blown custom theme (and no, I don't mean leveraging Bootstrap), I expect to pay substantially more than $40. The time alone for a person capable of that is worth more than $40.
(2018-09-17, 11:31 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-17, 05:13 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]I see you're saying that I am out of touch with reality. Nice going.

That's not what was said: What was said is that what you think is happening, and what is the case in the real world are two different things.

Sounds the same to me. 

I'm not going to go any further than this. It's off-topic now.
(2018-09-17, 11:37 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

Sounds the same to me. 

it's really not though.

if you want to use a theme that anyone else can use on mybb, then it'll be substantially cheaper than a fully custom theme. I think I paid about $300-400 for my custom theme back in 2015 when it was built.

time = money
(2018-09-17, 11:50 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]

Sounds the same to me. 

it's really not though.

if you want to use a theme that anyone else can use on mybb, then it'll be substantially cheaper than a fully custom theme.  I think I paid about $300-400 for my custom theme back in 2015 when it was built.

time = money

The theme on my website is customized, but I did NOT pay $400 for it. I paid a total of $40 (I think that was the total). 

The author of the theme worked with me until all of the bugs/kinks were straightened out... at no additional charge.

I'm happy with the theme. So, what's the big deal?
(2018-09-17, 11:58 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]The theme on my website is customized, but I did NOT pay $400 for it. I paid a total of $40 (I think that was the total). 

The author of the theme worked with me until all of the bugs/kinks were straightened out... at no additional charge.

There's a reason why the author of your theme has support denied next to his profile. Please don't promote him here.

I am not trying to offend you, but i don't think you understand what's meant by custom. Your theme is a template, with some changes - it's not something you have the sole rights to. Your theme provider is selling what you think is your custom theme to every grape, Tom & Harry.
(2018-09-16, 11:24 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-15, 09:30 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-15, 09:04 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-15, 07:58 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]- yes, you can upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9 when it's released as stable, but do note that you'll likely have to use the default theme and/or a new theme that is designed to work with 1.9.  also note, unless the plugins you use are updated to work with 1.9, they'll likely need to be deactivate and/or uninstalled.

Well, in regards to the Plugins...

There are a few plugins that some authors have totally abandoned and my website does use a few of those and I'm sure other websites do as well.

So, the big question is... if we can't contact the original author of those said plugins, how are we able to get those plugins upgraded/updated to conform to the standards of 1.9.xx?

I can foresee already that a lot of admins will be posting a lot related to this issue and wondering why 1.9.xx could not handle the older plugins. (backward compatibility)

depending on the license of the plugins used, you can pay someone to update them to work with 1.9 or have an entirely new plugin built.  mybb's theme structure is being changed for 1.9.  most plugins that hook into templates and such with 1.8 probably will not work on 1.9.

unfortunately we (mybb) cannot allow this type of stuff to hold us back from modernizing the software to 2018 standards.  this is one of the reasons mybb 1.8 will be supported for a while after mybb 1.9 is released - gives forum owners & theme and plugin creators time to upgrade their code to the new theme structure.

I'm not asking MyBB team to hold anything back in regards updating the MyBB forum software to current standards. This should be done.

My concern is that there are a number of plugin authors who have more or less abandoned their software work and moved onto something else. 

There are licenses that state something like this (in simple terms) "Don't change anything in this software without my permission". 
Now, admins are faced with a dilemma modifying a plugin so that it will conform to 1.9.xx but they are also violating the license because they cannot locate the author to get his/her permission to change the software so that it's compatible with 1.9.xx. 

So, what does an admin do in this situation?

I can see this coming... Plugin authors will charge an exorbitant amount to create plugins that admins will need to run/maintain their website. 

Plugin authors will know that if there is a need/demand for a specific plugin(s), all of which are FREE on MyBB.com, can charge a high fee for those plugins that were once free of charge.

To me, that flies in the face of MyBB forum software being free and open source. 

Just my 2 cents...

I've been around since 1.2 (or something insane like that, think 7-8 years) and it is really rare that you are actually in such desperate need of one plugin that you can't wait a bit for its update or its replacement. Should neither come, it's usually not much harm at all and/or other ways to solve it.

Honestly, the worst part is the themes. I've always had to wait a bit then get a new theme and then get my poor community artist working on new stuff, again, to suit it. Plugins are helpful but not as necessary as a working theme.

Patience is a virtue.

As for payments... I get the idea behind paying for someone's work, but if you come here for a free forum software it's probably often because you and your community can't afford a non-free software. Especially if you run a non-profit site. So, while that sounds like a profitable idea, in theory, I think you as a developer might find that a free forum software is not the place. Offer one's services for those who want it, sure, but I for one can be without paid plugins entirely and I think most can.
(2018-09-17, 11:58 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-17, 11:50 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]

Sounds the same to me. 

it's really not though.

if you want to use a theme that anyone else can use on mybb, then it'll be substantially cheaper than a fully custom theme.  I think I paid about $300-400 for my custom theme back in 2015 when it was built.

time = money

The theme on my website is customized, but I did NOT pay $400 for it. I paid a total of $40 (I think that was the total). 

As Ashley has mentioned, there is a difference between a $40 theme and a $400 theme.
Yes, plugins will need to be upgraded to work with 1.9. It is very unlikely the plugins you currently use will work out of the box.

Yes, themes will need to be completely developed. The entire theming system is being replaced as is the default theme. Your current themes will not work.

Let's stay on topic to 1.9 here, please.
Please stay on topic. This thread is about MyBB 1.9 development.