MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-11-05, 12:03 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Please add this to the bottom of main.css

.mybb-text-success { color: green }
.mybb-text-error { color: #C00 }

Then do a find & replace on all instances of

<span style=\"color: green;\">

replace with

<span class=\"mybb-text-success\">

also

<span style=\"color: #C00\">

replace with

<span class=\"mybb-text-error\">

I am currently patching admin/modules/tools/system_health.php where there are alot of these, but there are other admin modules that have these also.

We are not making changes to the admin control panel in 1.9.
Sad was hoping it can go into 1.8.20
(2018-11-05, 05:03 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]Sad was hoping it can go into 1.8.20

If you make a PR on GitHub with those changes, we might be able to review and approve it before the 1.8.20 release.
I am not really familiar with Github. Can anybody volunteer to make the PR ? The change is really minor and can't break anything, but it facilitates theming the ACP.

admin/modules/tools/system_health.php
admin/modules/home/index.php

are the 2 files so far, that I have found them in.
(2018-11-05, 05:18 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am not really familiar with Github. Can anybody volunteer to make the PR ? The change is really minor and can't break anything, but it facilitates theming the ACP.

The change would cause issues with all existing ACP themes that are not included with MyBB.
Ok, i see. They would have to update their theme main.css
I saw several complaints (and maybe even flames) about the fact that 1.9 hasn't been released yet, and I'd like to write my point of view.

I decided to start a project with a forum some months ago. I was undecided, phpBB or MyBB? Or SMF, Discourse, Vanilla, etc.? I've spent, or maybe lost, a lot of time trying to understand what the best solution was, and why the forums that used to be the best (like MyBB and phpBB) now are so outdated. Most people suppose that social networks like Facebook are to blame, because most users have left forums and moved to social networks for casual chatting. I also believe that sites like StackExchange or Quora have helped to kill some traffic on tech forums. Anyway, it seems that today there is virtually no free and open-source forum software that is really "modern", except maybe for Discourse. The problem is: what does it mean to be "modern"? There are two points to consider
  • Look and feel. This is easy to define: responsiveness, svg flat icons, minimalism (flat styles, no borders, etc.). MyBB is going to fix this problem in 1.9 with the new theme.
  • Features. This is NOT easy to define. Not everybody needs the same features, and not everybody likes them (in fact, there are several people who do not like how things are done in Discourse). Are classic forums dead and should they become more like social networks? Or are social network features annoying and not appropriate in forums? MyBB seems ok the way it is for now, except for a "mention system" that allows member to refer to @someone_else or to receive notifications if anybody quotes something from them. But this too is going to be introduced in version 1.10, IIRC.
I finally decided to use MyBB anyway because it looks promising and has the potential to become one of the best forum software again. Look at phpBB: it's responsive, but it doesn't look modern at all, and MyBB 1.9 will look WAY better than phpBB once it's released. Or look at Discourse: everything seems great, but there's no way you can run that beast on shared hosting, it takes a lot of time, resources, and money to use Discourse. It's not a solution for everyone. So MyBB is not that far from the others, and has the potential to become great.

The only problem at this point becomes "slow development". I don't know exactly why it's so slow, but I thought of some possible reasons. By looking at the number of contributors on github, you can begin to understand why it's slower than other software: MyBB 90 contributors, phpBB 177, Discourse 661. Also, we should consider that new software was written from scratch with modern frameworks, while MyBB is based on old code that needs to be updated without breaking existing stuff or annoying some of its old users. I wonder for example how much time and effort is wasted in trying to support old plugins as much as possible. I don't know, could that be a factor? If you could forget about compatibility with third-party software (plugins), how faster would the development be? Another thing I wonder is why the new theme isn't based on Bootstrap (I don't see it in the source). I tend to dislike frameworks (you end up relying on third party stuff), but if a framework has almost become a "standard" in the industry (like jQuery, Bootstrap, and Fontawesome) then I think it's ok to use it. Could it be that other projects develop faster because they use more frameworks and are less afraid to break backward compatibility? In the end, MyBB won't attract any new developers until it starts to look like a modern option to use, so the main priorities should be focused on making it look and feel modern, making it easier and faster to develop (refactoring, frameworks, unit testing) and totally forgetting any other feature that is not needed. Oh, one last thing: it's best to delay a release than to release too early (and get a lot of bugs and trouble). So I definitely agree that 1.9 "will be ready when it's ready". I'm just trying to understand if in the future things can be sped up and improved. Just my opinions. Thanks.
(2018-11-20, 05:12 PM)reed Wrote: [ -> ]I saw several complaints (and maybe even flames) about the fact that 1.9 hasn't been released yet, and I'd like to write my point of view.

I decided to start a project with a forum some months ago. I was undecided, phpBB or MyBB? Or SMF, Discourse, Vanilla, etc.? I've spent, or maybe lost, a lot of time trying to understand what the best solution was, and why the forums that used to be the best (like MyBB and phpBB) now are so outdated. Most people suppose that social networks like Facebook are to blame, because most users have left forums and moved to social networks for casual chatting. I also believe that sites like StackExchange or Quora have helped to kill some traffic on tech forums. Anyway, it seems that today there is virtually no free and open-source forum software that is really "modern", except maybe for Discourse. The problem is: what does it mean to be "modern"? There are two points to consider
  • Look and feel. This is easy to define: responsiveness, svg flat icons, minimalism (flat styles, no borders, etc.). MyBB is going to fix this problem in 1.9 with the new theme.
  • Features. This is NOT easy to define. Not everybody needs the same features, and not everybody likes them (in fact, there are several people who do not like how things are done in Discourse). Are classic forums dead and should they become more like social networks? Or are social network features annoying and not appropriate in forums? MyBB seems ok the way it is for now, except for a "mention system" that allows member to refer to @someone_else or to receive notifications if anybody quotes something from them. But this too is going to be introduced in version 1.10, IIRC.
I finally decided to use MyBB anyway because it looks promising and has the potential to become one of the best forum software again. Look at phpBB: it's responsive, but it doesn't look modern at all, and MyBB 1.9 will look WAY better than phpBB once it's released. Or look at Discourse: everything seems great, but there's no way you can run that beast on shared hosting, it takes a lot of time, resources, and money to use Discourse. It's not a solution for everyone. So MyBB is not that far from the others, and has the potential to become great.

The only problem at this point becomes "slow development". I don't know exactly why it's so slow, but I thought of some possible reasons. By looking at the number of contributors on github, you can begin to understand why it's slower than other software: MyBB 90 contributors, phpBB 177, Discourse 661. Also, we should consider that new software was written from scratch with modern frameworks, while MyBB is based on old code that needs to be updated without breaking existing stuff or annoying some of its old users. I wonder for example how much time and effort is wasted in trying to support old plugins as much as possible. I don't know, could that be a factor? If you could forget about compatibility with third-party software (plugins), how faster would the development be? Another thing I wonder is why the new theme isn't based on Bootstrap (I don't see it in the source). I tend to dislike frameworks (you end up relying on third party stuff), but if a framework has almost become a "standard" in the industry (like jQuery, Bootstrap, and Fontawesome) then I think it's ok to use it. Could it be that other projects develop faster because they use more frameworks and are less afraid to break backward compatibility? In the end, MyBB won't attract any new developers until it starts to look like a modern option to use, so the main priorities should be focused on making it look and feel modern, making it easier and faster to develop (refactoring, frameworks, unit testing) and totally forgetting any other feature that is not needed. Oh, one last thing: it's best to delay a release than to release too early (and get a lot of bugs and trouble). So I definitely agree that 1.9 "will be ready when it's ready". I'm just trying to understand if in the future things can be sped up and improved. Just my opinions. Thanks.

mybb is already dead bro. don't waste your breath in vain. nobody care.
(2018-11-20, 05:12 PM)reed Wrote: [ -> ]I saw several complaints (and maybe even flames) about the fact that 1.9 hasn't been released yet, and I'd like to write my point of view.

-- SNIP --

The only problem at this point becomes "slow development". I don't know exactly why it's so slow, but I thought of some possible reasons. By looking at the number of contributors on github, you can begin to understand why it's slower than other software: MyBB 90 contributors, phpBB 177, Discourse 661

All I can say is that people need to have patience. 

If people can't wait, too bad... move on. 

Leave the MyBB Development team alone or JOIN the team and help them speed up the process.

If people want to vent in MyBB, doing so will NOT speed up the process.

People need to enjoy the upcoming holidays and quit worrying about when MyBB 1.9.xx will be released.  Rolleyes

(2018-11-20, 05:29 PM)testermania Wrote: [ -> ]mybb is already dead bro. don't waste your breath in vain. nobody care.

If you feel this way, then why are you still here?
Quote: Another thing I wonder is why the new theme isn't based on Bootstrap (I don't see it in the source). I tend to dislike frameworks (you end up relying on third party stuff), but if a framework has almost become a "standard" in the industry (like jQuery, Bootstrap, and Fontawesome) then I think it's ok to use it.

Personally I think MyBB should stay clear of Bootstrap. 1.9 is looking like the right step in the direction that MyBB needs.