MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2019-03-25, 09:41 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-03-25, 09:34 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]What's wrong with starting out with MyBB 1.8.20?

Surprised you even need to ask that question.

Migrating to a new second-point (x.x.x) release, especially one with as many changes as 1.9 (the new templating system being a prime example) is a pain when you've only got a relatively new website. If you wait for the imminent release of 1.9, you spend less time wasting time writing a theme you'll be tossing away in weeks. Probably even less than.

Same goes for plugins.

Not really worth starting a new website on 1.8 now.

With that logic, you are discouraging potential website admins to go with other forum software. Why would you want to do that to MyBB?

Who knows how long will MyBB 1.9.xx be publically released? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year? 

Why wait when one can start up their website now and worry about the upgrades later?
(2019-03-25, 09:34 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-03-25, 05:36 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]No chance within the next month is there? I'm planning a new project with people and the discussion is between MyBB & Xenforo. But we'd rather start with MyBB 1.9 than 1.8.

What's wrong with starting out with MyBB 1.8.20?

It's my understanding that developers are trying everything in their power to make the migration to MyBB 1.9.xx as seamless as possible.

That, of course, is based on the default theme and setup of MyBB 1.8.20. If you have customized themes and/or plugins, those will need to be updated for MyBB 1.9.xx.

Aside from that, don't let the prospect of the impending arrival of MyBB 1.9.xx stop you from using the latest MyBB software.

Having said all of that...

MyBB 1.9.xx will come out when it's ready.

This is exactly it. Why force oneself to do or re-do work in such a short period of time? If 1.9 was slated to release within a month, then we can wait. If not, we can do the development work once on Xenforo and not have to worry about upgrading for a long while.

Whereas if we started with 1.8, and 1.9 released literally under 3 months since we launched, then we'd have to migrate/upgrade all the customized work.

I know 1.9 will come out when it's ready, thus the unpredictable release that make Xenforo a more appealing candidate.

(2019-03-25, 09:59 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-03-25, 09:41 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-03-25, 09:34 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]What's wrong with starting out with MyBB 1.8.20?

Surprised you even need to ask that question.

Migrating to a new second-point (x.x.x) release, especially one with as many changes as 1.9 (the new templating system being a prime example) is a pain when you've only got a relatively new website. If you wait for the imminent release of 1.9, you spend less time wasting time writing a theme you'll be tossing away in weeks. Probably even less than.

Same goes for plugins.

Not really worth starting a new website on 1.8 now.

With that logic, you are discouraging potential website admins to go with other forum software. Why would you want to do that to MyBB?

Who knows how long will MyBB 1.9.xx be publically released? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year?

Why wait when one can start up their website now and worry about the upgrades later?

But your suggestion handcuffs us. I'm not eager to make leaps like that. I have vBulletin 3.8 and still MyBB 1.6 boards because they're heavily customized, from the template work & plugins. I paid to have a mobile theme created for 1.6 because the cost for a mobile design vs paying a developer to re-do the plugins on 1.8 (or even potentially 1.9) were outweighed by the lower cost of the 1.6 responsive theme.
(2019-03-25, 10:22 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]But your suggestion handcuffs us. I'm not eager to make leaps like that. I have vBulletin 3.8 and still MyBB 1.6 boards because they're heavily customized, from the template work & plugins. I paid to have a mobile theme created for 1.6 because the cost for a mobile design vs paying a developer to re-do the plugins on 1.8 (or even potentially 1.9) were outweighed by the lower cost of the 1.6 responsive theme.

That's fine. That is your choice.

But think about this...

That MyBB 1.6.xx board that you have running now... image the HUGE headache it would be to go from that version to MyBB 1.9.xx. 

Honestly, I am not even 100% certain if the MyBB 1.9.xx upgrade script would even support versions older than 1.8.xx. (the MyBB development team will need to confirm this)

So, why not go ahead upgrade that board of yours to at the very least 1.8.20 and you can worry about MyBB 1.9.xx down the road. 

It has been stated over and over, that there will be security upgrades on the 1.8.xx series for 1 year AFTER MyBB 1.9.xx comes out.

So, you will have plenty of time to plan ahead and make necessary changes even if you don't upgrade to MyBB 1.9.xx right away.

That's just my 2 measly cents on this.
(2019-03-25, 10:53 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-03-25, 10:22 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]But your suggestion handcuffs us. I'm not eager to make leaps like that. I have vBulletin 3.8 and still MyBB 1.6 boards because they're heavily customized, from the template work & plugins. I paid to have a mobile theme created for 1.6 because the cost for a mobile design vs paying a developer to re-do the plugins on 1.8 (or even potentially 1.9) were outweighed by the lower cost of the 1.6 responsive theme.

But think about this...

That MyBB 1.6.xx board that you have running now... image the HUGE headache it would be to go from that version to MyBB 1.9.xx. 

Honestly, I am not even 100% certain if the MyBB 1.9.xx upgrade script would even support versions older than 1.8.xx. (the MyBB development team will need to confirm this)

So, why not go ahead upgrade that board of yours to at the very least 1.8.20 and you can worry about MyBB 1.9.xx down the road. 

It has been stated over and over, that there will be security upgrades on the 1.8.xx series for 1 year AFTER MyBB 1.9.xx comes out.

So, you will have plenty of time to plan ahead and make necessary changes even if you don't upgrade to MyBB 1.9.xx right away.

Why not just upgrade? Because of resource and cost. I'd have to take quite a large amount of time off work to put into converting all the custom template work over, and pay Developers who can re-code all the unique/custom plugins.

I had no issues making jumps from 1.1 to 1.2 and to 1.4. Because those were my earlier MyBB days where very little was custom work. I just had to wait for the free plugin authors to release a new version that supported the latest MyBB version, then work on a new theme for it and I was good to go.

1.6 was not a major pain, as most 1.4 plugins were convertible to 1.6 easily. But I'm in a tough spot now where they're cemented into 1.6.

What if I had ponied up and paid to upgrade them all to 1.8? Then I have to do it again for 1.9?

I have no intention to keep the 1.6 boards on MyBB, and I know they can't run on it forever. The custom work has to be re-done regardless. And so, I'd go to a platform where I can continue to get support; preference is Xenforo. I have faith with vBulletin due to the nearly two decade experience with them, while still using vBulletin 3.8.

I may still just start with 1.8, and do the same thing; with no plans to jump to 1.9. My long term goal here is to build a new board with much less customizations as my other giant boards, to build a product that I can use to upgrade towards Xenforo, and thoroughly learn its platform.

Since I learned both vB & MyBB from using it over a long period of time; I want to do the same with Xenforo.
(2019-03-25, 11:14 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-03-25, 10:53 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]

But think about this...

Why not just upgrade? Because of resource and cost. I'd have to take quite a large amount of time off work to put into converting all the custom template work over, and pay Developers who can re-code all the unique/custom plugins.

I had no issues making jumps from 1.1 to 1.2 and to 1.4. Because those were my earlier MyBB days where very little was custom work. I just had to wait for the free plugin authors to release a new version that supported the latest MyBB version, then work on a new theme for it and I was good to go.

1.6 was not a major pain, as most 1.4 plugins were convertible to 1.6 easily. But I'm in a tough spot now where they're cemented into 1.6.

What if I had ponied up and paid to upgrade them all to 1.8? Then I have to do it again for 1.9?

I have no intention to keep the 1.6 boards on MyBB, and I know they can't run on it forever. The custom work has to be re-done regardless. And so, I'd go to a platform where I can continue to get support; preference is Xenforo. I have faith with vBulletin due to the nearly two decade experience with them, while still using vBulletin 3.8.

I may still just start with 1.8, and do the same thing; with no plans to jump to 1.9. My long term goal here is to build a new board with much less customizations as my other giant boards, to build a product that I can use to upgrade towards Xenforo, and thoroughly learn its platform.

Since I learned both vB & MyBB from using it over a long period of time; I want to do the same with Xenforo.

Well, it's up to you. I'm not going to change your mind one way or another.

The fact that you are willing to use a PAID forum software tells me that you aren't really serious about using MyBB (in any version) from this point on.

Yea, you will have to pay developers to migrate the stuff from your MyBB 1.6.xx board, plugins, themes and so on.

You probably would end up paying the same amount of money, maybe less, to change over to MyBB 1.9.xx. Again, it's your call.
We're a couple of months off yet at least. The theme conversion is done, and I'm actively rebasing the 1.9 code to contain all the latest 1.8 changes which is quite a lot of work. I'm on par with 1.8.16 now, but that still leaves me 100+ commits behind the current 1.8 code. Whilst rebasing I've also found some possibly missed templates or redundant templates that we need to go through and either convert or remove.
(2019-03-25, 09:59 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]With that logic, you are discouraging potential website admins to go with other forum software. Why would you want to do that to MyBB?

I'm sorry, I missed this post.

I am not discouraging anyone from doing anything, I am explaining a thought process since I believe that you can only make a well thought out, rational decision when you have all viewpoints available to you.
Hi guys, I'm new to the community. Is it possible to know about when the new version will be release?
(2019-04-15, 05:07 AM)hohonace Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, I'm new to the community. Is it possible to know about when the new version will be release?

Other than a vague 'this year' we can't really say much more. MyBB is a volunteer project, we work on this software in our spare time and without being paid for it - so development can often be slow.
(2019-04-15, 07:44 AM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-15, 05:07 AM)hohonace Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, I'm new to the community. Is it possible to know about when the new version will be release?

Other than a vague 'this year' we can't really say much more. MyBB is a volunteer project, we work on this software in our spare time and without being paid for it - so development can often be slow.

Where can I start to contribute?