MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2019-07-28, 12:28 PM)itsmeJAY Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the good answer.

Will the function find_replace_templatesets(); still be available? Otherwise I do not modify templates in my plugins. Only I put some variables in the templates from time to time.  Big Grin

I hope so. I used prestashop, what didn't have this feature, and module adding is nightmare. PLEASE STAY IT!!!
(2019-07-28, 11:34 AM)itsmeJAY Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question for the developers - or for someone who already has information about it.

How is the plugin system built? Just like version 1.8? A question many users ask themselves: Can plugins be used from 1.8 to 1.9 (I don't think so) - but can plugins be easily adapted or does the whole hook system change?
The hook system still exists, but I'm wanting to sneak in a few changes that should be invisible to developers:
  • Support for passing multiple parameters to a hook - currently only one parameter can be passed
  • Moving the plugin system to the \MyBB\ namespace - the old root \pluginSystem class will still exist as a proxy to the new implementation
  • Adding unit tests for plugin hooks
As Shade said, existing plugins will work apart from any code relating to templates as the template system has changed completely. The old "find_replace_templatesets()" function will still work in much the same way, but the previous regex lookups will almost certainly fail due to the new theme having a completely different structure. 

I'm also looking at some other possibilities around templates and interacting with them via plugins, such as adding hooks before/after templates are loaded, but I've not really started down this road yet.
(2019-07-31, 06:32 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-07-28, 11:34 AM)itsmeJAY Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question for the developers - or for someone who already has information about it.

How is the plugin system built? Just like version 1.8? A question many users ask themselves: Can plugins be used from 1.8 to 1.9 (I don't think so) - but can plugins be easily adapted or does the whole hook system change?
The hook system still exists, but I'm wanting to sneak in a few changes that should be invisible to developers:
  • Support for passing multiple parameters to a hook - currently only one parameter can be passed
  • Moving the plugin system to the \MyBB\ namespace - the old root \pluginSystem class will still exist as a proxy to the new implementation
  • Adding unit tests for plugin hooks
As Shade said, existing plugins will work apart from any code relating to templates as the template system has changed completely. The old "find_replace_templatesets()" function will still work in much the same way, but the previous regex lookups will almost certainly fail due to the new theme having a completely different structure. 

I'm also looking at some other possibilities around templates and interacting with them via plugins, such as adding hooks before/after templates are loaded, but I've not really started down this road yet.

Thanks for Information.
Basically if the only thing not compatible with plugin is the theme part, it means that we must manually add the template of the plugins manually? The rest will work?
(2019-08-19, 09:41 AM)Løque Wrote: [ -> ]Basically if the only thing not compatible with plugin is the theme part, it means that we must manually add the template of the plugins manually? The rest will work?

1.9 uses a whole new theming platform; so you'd have to convert the templates as well. It's not a drop-in replacement.
Has work already been continued or still the old status? A project of mine is about to start and I would like to know if I can plan for next year with the software. I would like to start the new project around February. Do you think that would be possible with 1.9?
It's been 2 years since this...

https://blog.mybb.com/2017/10/21/a-fresh-perspective/

... and there have been a few time estimates that have come and gone, which means that there is little point planning around a estimated deadline for v1.9. I for one am still a fan of the software, and have decided to patiently wait for the upgrade to 1.9 for a mobile-friendly responsive version. But I'm not holding my breath, and keep looking at alternatives.
(2019-09-04, 07:10 AM)itsmeJAY Wrote: [ -> ]Has work already been continued or still the old status? A project of mine is about to start and I would like to know if I can plan for next year with the software. I would like to start the new project around February. Do you think that would be possible with 1.9?

It's ongoing but slow.

(2019-09-04, 01:12 PM)gimbal Wrote: [ -> ]It's been 2 years since this...

https://blog.mybb.com/2017/10/21/a-fresh-perspective/

... and there have been a few time estimates that have come and gone, which means that there is little point planning around a estimated deadline for v1.9. I for one am still a fan of the software, and have decided to patiently wait for the upgrade to 1.9 for a mobile-friendly responsive version. But I'm not holding my breath, and keep looking at alternatives.

Seems MyBB team still allows and develops new features into 1.8 branch, which leaves 1.9's code rebase a lot work to do. Shouldn't the team only allows bug fix on 1.8 branch and encourage community to work with 1.9's development?
I know it's annoying when people keep asking. But can't the team at least say if it's possible to expect the release in early 2020? That would be enough. It's about planning some projects I would like to do with MyBB in 2020.
It's possible to expect a release when it is ready.