MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2019-10-26, 03:40 PM)jason5 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with phpkiller, 1.8 is good and a major upgrade needs time. If this wouldn't have been a paid forum then it would have come out early. But it is powered by volunteers and helping mindset people.
yes, and we are thankfull to them for using theire time to keeping this project alive 2019.
big love to all the mybb team <3
I am also thankful for the MyBB software, and the efforts to try to keep up with the evolution of web-based standards and devices... but I'm also starting to lose hope that responsive version 1.9 will be available within the next 12 months. The progress on Github appears to be about 50%...

https://github.com/mybb/mybb/projects/2
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/milestone/22?closed=1

So, I am wondering if I (or maybe "we") were to try to raise significant funds for the developers, would it help with getting to the 1.9 milestone any faster? And if so, how much would actually make a material difference? I just looked at the donation page (and made a donation), and there are not may contributions. I am willing to put some effort in to this, but only if it is a team effort and only if we can get some sense of goals and time and so on... I do depend on MyBB for our not-for-profit forum, and am willing to pay to support, and to pay more if it makes a difference in development...

https://opencollective.com/mybb

Another way to ask the same question is, is there any way we can harness collective resources to help speed up development? Paid programmers working at the direction of the developers for a month or 2? These are just ideas, and not criticism - just trying to help.
Just a suggestion

mybb get paid 15 - 20 dollars, such as anyone can pay a fee and we have much better software
Finally you will use Twig Smile
(2019-10-29, 06:40 PM)wmyonetim Wrote: [ -> ]mybb get paid 15 - 20 dollars, such as anyone can pay a fee and we have much better software

That's not how open source works.
(2019-10-29, 06:40 PM)wmyonetim Wrote: [ -> ]Just a suggestion

mybb get paid 15 - 20 dollars, such as anyone can pay a fee and we have much better software

MyBB is free and always will be. The project is well funded by the founder who pays for everything out of his own pocket, and who has always been clear that MyBB will never become a paid product.
(2019-10-30, 07:14 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is free and always will be. The project is well funded by the founder who pays for everything out of his own pocket, and who has always been clear that MyBB will never become a paid product.

I completely understand this aspect - and appreciate it. My specific question, which seems to have been ignored - is there any way to harness collective support (perhaps, for example, by raising funds to hire a few programmers for a month or two under the direction of the developers...) in order to reach the version 1.9 milestone (and future milestones) any faster? ... Or, is there any other way to harness collective resources that would help speed up the process? 

I have full respect for the software, for the open source nature of it - I just wanted to know if the developers were open to ideas of how to maybe speed things up without compromising the software, or the ethos? 

I was unaware the project was "well funded", because the donations page showed a measly $400 for the year. This makes me feel like a donation was pointless.

Thanks for considering the question and ideas.
getting forum Error 404 when I start new thread post. Please, guide whats wrong I am doing? Thank you
Hi,

Can you make a responsive theme please?
(2019-10-30, 08:18 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-29, 06:40 PM)wmyonetim Wrote: [ -> ]mybb get paid 15 - 20 dollars, such as anyone can pay a fee and we have much better software

That's not how open source works.
Money does never make better software!

MyBB is no commercial project - it seems to be a project of passion.
So passion and the community can never be paid Smile

Indeed providing a responsive design is a must today. Version 1.9 pre-release is respnive-ready. Check it out.

[ExiTuS]