MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2020-01-09, 05:11 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Simply baffiling no official mobile support yet. 2020... 🤣
Looking at the Merge system announcement it seems they are focusing on 1.8.23, I thought there was going to be an update regarding 1.9 but I guess not. 

I think all efforts should be put towards 1.9 

2.0 was supposed to happen then seems to have failed, 1.9 has been announced a few years ago now and not even a beta release available yet. 

I understand that this is a volunteer project and people have lives to tend to but it just gets hopes up and these hopes get let down time and time again.

I really love MyBB I am used to it but even other I guess you can call them competitors updated with mobile a few years ago. MyBB just seems to be falling behind the pack.
Well no project can stand at each field or feature as outstanding points. MyBB doesn't at mobile responsiveness, that is for sure.
Development takes time, especially when it's on a volunteer basis. I wish I was better with PHP so I could help contribute myself. I work as a Node.js dev and have little free time to learn new technologies.

Complaining that people, who are working for free, aren't building fast enough comes off as entitled. The MyBB is doing a great job IMO. If you want things released faster on this open source project, why not contribute yourself?
(2020-01-09, 05:11 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]Simply baffiling no official mobile support yet. 2020... 🤣

Thanks for offering to help! Drop me an email and I'll setup your accounts.

How many hours per week did you say you were willing to contribute again?
(2020-01-09, 05:53 PM)Furious Wrote: [ -> ]
Looking at the Merge system announcement it seems they are focusing on 1.8.23, I thought there was going to be an update regarding 1.9 but I guess not. 

I think all efforts should be put towards 1.9 

2.0 was supposed to happen then seems to have failed, 1.9 has been announced a few years ago now and not even a beta release available yet. 

I understand that this is a volunteer project and people have lives to tend to but it just gets hopes up and these hopes get let down time and time again.

I really love MyBB I am used to it but even other I guess you can call them competitors updated with mobile a few years ago. MyBB just seems to be falling behind the pack.

It's not the case that we are completely focusing on 1.8.23. In the blog post (which I wrote) it was pointed out that the next release of the Merge System will be made with our next bug fix update of the current software (as it has been done previously). There will be an announcement made in relation to 1.9 in due course but the announcement is essentially separate from the 1.9 info since it affects the current software version.

2.0 was announced, yes, we can both agree on that point. But, 2.0 was announced when we had a larger Developer team which no one can deny has got smaller in the past few years. It was soon realised 2.0 was no longer the most viable long term option for the project hence why we gathered the Community's views on what direction to take the project forward in and decided upon the best fitting solution.

Now, we come on to 1.9. Euan is currently undertaking work to rebase the 1.9 repo on GitHub to the current version of 1.8 which involves manually applying changes to potentially hundreds of core files. This of course takes time. Again, it is wrong to say that progress hasn't been made on 1.9. You may find it interesting to read through the various blog posts we have made previously and keep an eye on the GitHub repository for further updates.

As you have mentioned the team is 100% volunteers and all chose to give up our free time to make this a better project for our end users. Whilst I can say with confidence our team do enjoy volunteering for MyBB it does get frustrating when we need to respond to a large amount of posts complaining about the software and the lack of progress on something we are providing for free. Perhaps answering support threads or contributing in any way you can would be a good way to move the project forward which we can massively speed up with the help of the Community.

Lastly, we are aware that certain aspects of MyBB have fallen behind competitors which is exactly why we focused our efforts on introducing 1.9 with a fully responsive theme along with optimisation changes instead of working on 2.0 which still would have been many years off yet.

For those of the Community who do contribute through various channels such as PR's, docs contributions, answering support threads etc are a great help and you definitely don't go un-noticed.
I'd just like to chime in regarding the rebase, which I've been working on since before Christmas and hoped I'd complete by the end of 2019.

Turns out, rebasing is super difficult. The current status is that I'm on merge conflict 85/123. I should probably explain how the process works, for those not aware (and hopefully this will explain why it's taking so long to complete... it's a mind numbing task full of trial and error):
  • Check out the main MyBB repository
  • Switch to the develop/1.9 branch
  • Use git rebase origin/feature
  • Wait a little while, until it conflicts
  • Work through the conflicted files, one at a time. There are normally 2-3 file conflicted per step. When a conflict arises, there may be several chunks of code in this file that are conflicted. Git puts both the code from the develop/1.9 and the feature branch in the file, with a <<<<<<< at the top, a ======= separating the two, and a >>>>>>> at the bottom. You then delete the code that needs the most changes to work with 1.9, and then edit the code to make it work. if using the 1.9 code, you have to go through the Git history for the file in the feature branch using git blame to see the changes to the affected chunk, and apply them as necessary
  • Then, you tell Git to continue the rebase
  • More conflicts! Repeat the process!

I've now done this process 85 times, with another 38 to go until completion. Once that's done, I'll need to rebase again to get any changes that have happened since I first started the rebase. Then I need to force push the branch to GitHub, and hope that it now only shows the branch as being X commits ahead of feature rather than being X commits behind, and Y commits ahead of feature.

Whilst I'm working on this, there's not much point in anybody else trying to work on the 1.9 branch, as when I force push the rebased branch, any work will be lost and overwritten by the force push. Any PRs would also then need to be rebased on the new version of develop/1.9 too, which means following the above steps for those PRs.
Hello Euan

your work with the whole community is really great and i want to say thank you for that. I understand that this takes time and I hope that we can expect news soon. Many forum systems or all known systems are responsive and based on current technologies. We are a little bit late and I hope we can still take the trend with us.

Is there still no approximate idea when you can expect the first official version of 1.9?

Greetings
This is one of the problems of free software which depends on volunteering.
Your best solution is to convert it to a paid program (not free) at a non-high price.

Otherwise it will be the fate of the script to stop, as happened with other software and that
Throw it in a warehouse GitHub

For example, I have turned many people around looking for a responsive design and I haven't found one. Even a designer I want him to design a responsive template that no one else has.
The time for free software is over. Nobody wants to work for free
(2020-03-14, 09:24 PM)@abdurhman@ Wrote: [ -> ]This is one of the problems of free software which depends on volunteering.
Your best solution is to convert it to a paid program (not free) at a non-high price.

Otherwise it will be the fate of the script to stop, as happened with other software and that
Throw it in a warehouse GitHub

For example, I have turned many people around looking for a responsive design and I haven't found one. Even a designer I want him to design a responsive template that no one else has.
The time for free software is over. Nobody wants to work for free

I agree with most of that. I don't think MyBB will survive unless it adds some sense of a revenue model to compensate developers willing to dedicate themselves to this.

Free projects are okay to start up with or to gain market share but eventually there must be a revenue model for the project. The bigger it gets, the more that is required. MyBB is not a small project, but it may have passed the point of altering their business model or simply enacting one.

You can pretty much find the biggest open source free projects and you'd see an evolution into adapting into a revenue stream. An example might be Font Awesome (paid version) or even Laravel (partners).

MyBB is in a weird model of just being free with volunteer devs and support. It's unsustainable imho.
With a disclaimer of this being my personal opinion, from a business side point of view I'll have to agree with most of what you comment.

However, I don't think MyBB has reached near a point to have to decide on changing its model over ultimately "collapsing".