MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MyBB is open source. It’s not relevant who owns it. You want to build on it? Fork it.
(2020-04-01, 11:08 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is open source. It’s not relevant who owns it. You want to build on it? Fork it.
I did not mention owning or buying a license
The program is assigned to the community to transfer ownership of the program
As in the Linux system. Under license :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Genera...ic_License

greeting
Angel
Let us talk about how Ubuntu made a new theme. Everyone was unhappy with the 2010 theme. Then the community stepped in and built the Yaru theme ( which now has 3 variants ). There are a few things we can do without bothering the MyBB team

1. Hire someone to make a decent looking responsive theme + pay for updates as 1.8 gets updated

2. Do it yourself (or as a team) and let MyBB and the greater community make use of it.

3. Find a group of OSS fans and convince them to contribute to a responsive theme.
I’m not sure it’d be necessary to reassign the rights for a fork. GPL is specifically designed to allow people to fork it as they please, as long as the license stays GPL. So what a fork couldn’t do is realícense it under something non GPL (which is a good thing), but there’s nothing stopping anyone from forking in and of itself. Smile

IIRC, MyBB is a fork of XMB from a long, long time ago. XMB is still around as a matter of fact (albeit with very slow development).

Edit:
@meetdilip: I agree.
(2020-04-01, 12:50 PM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]Let us talk about how Ubuntu made a new theme. Everyone was unhappy with the 2010 theme. Then the community stepped in and built the Yaru theme ( which now has 3 variants ). There are a few things we can do without bothering the MyBB team

1. Hire someone to make a decent looking responsive theme + pay for updates as 1.8 gets updated

2. Do it yourself (or as a team) and let MyBB and the greater community make use of it.

3. Find a group of OSS fans and convince them to contribute to a responsive theme.

In order to contribute to building a responsive template
I will provide an amount of: 27 $
As the first shareholder
The responsive theme is already done for the most part. I believe the main bottleneck at the moment is the rebase onto the current feature branch.
Any live demo for actual version?
(2020-04-01, 05:10 PM)Supryk Wrote: [ -> ]Any live demo for actual version?

https://mybb.jsoltesz.com/mybb-1.9/index.php
Quote: I won't comment on my opinion regarding the past drop decision, but dropping once more would be unacceptable for both contributors and users.

And at what point would you deem waiting for a responsive theme to be unacceptable? Is it 6 months? 18 months? Three years?

MyBB strength is the way plugins work. So many features that members want added to core can simply be plugins for now. The default theme is the one thing that binds them all.

Quote:the theme is practically ready and that the template engine seems to be almost done.

So we're waiting on features that are less important while the one feature that is of the utmost importance sits completed. Doesn't that sound crazy?

Quote:MyBB is open source. It’s not relevant who owns it. You want to build on it? Fork it.

If by end of 2020 there hasn't been some forward movement in the project I'm going to do just that. Not because I want to, but because I feel I have to. I've thought about it for many years. This isn't a threat or warning either. It's a lifeline to those who still care about the project but maybe are disappointed about how things have been going. We have an absent owner (Chris B) and lengthy delays in releases. It's my conclusion there is a lack of clear vision and leadership, that's a problem.
Removed