MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2020-10-12, 10:56 PM)Furious Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-12, 05:54 PM)itsmeJAY Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-12, 01:50 AM)alv4 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-09-29, 01:16 PM)itsmeJAY Wrote: [ -> ]Any news after over 1.5 months?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Well, what else should you write about it? I don't understand why the community is not kept up to date as promised. I don't use MyBB at all, I'm only involved in plugin development. But I can't understand why the loyal community is being held up for so long.
I think development is stalled. I really fear MyBB is at the end of the road.

No update most likely because there is no progress.

This is precisely why I made the jump to a different forum software package. 

My new website required a robust and reliable forum software package and unfortunately, MyBB doesn't quite fit the bill. 

Don't get me wrong, MyBB forum package is great for many types of websites, but it could not and would not do the job that my new website demanded.

Just saying...
(2020-10-13, 08:40 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe Euan is still working his way through the rebase...it's a very laborious & tedious task, from what I know of it.

Sure it's tedious but I actually looked at the volume of changes and it's a few dozen of hours of work, not a year worth of manual labor. If Euan is not actively working on it, this could be picked up by someone else (but it's nasty enough work to make sure that the effort isn't duplicated and some of it, ultimately, wasted). It also makes little sense to do it under the blanket to, hopefully, reveal the results to the world some day in the future. :/
(2020-10-15, 04:18 PM)DominikD Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-13, 08:40 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe Euan is still working his way through the rebase...it's a very laborious & tedious task, from what I know of it.

Sure it's tedious but I actually looked at the volume of changes and it's a few dozen of hours of work, not a year worth of manual labor. If Euan is not actively working on it, this could be picked up by someone else (but it's nasty enough work to make sure that the effort isn't duplicated and some of it, ultimately, wasted). It also makes little sense to do it under the blanket to, hopefully, reveal the results to the world some day in the future. :/
By the ways things are going I don't we will see MyBB 1.9 until 2030 and 2.0 on the year 3000 lol Big Grin Toungue
(2020-10-18, 12:56 AM)DevLife Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-15, 04:18 PM)DominikD Wrote: [ -> ]

By the ways things are going I don't we will see MyBB 1.9 until 2030 and 2.0 on the year 3000 lol Big Grin Toungue

yep, so we record facts:

1) The programming makes no progress or only very small (if any)
2) The community is ignored even though it is screaming for information
3) Only rudimentary information from other team members is received.
  3.1) In this "rudimentary information" the team members do not respond to questions of the community.
  3.2) The team members do not make correct statements.

Hmmm... Sooo pity about MyBB... I will miss you and will have to learn to use another forum software as a plugin author.  Sad Heart

I don't want to attack anyone personally, but let's be realistic:

Even if the team (1 person) releases MyBB 1.9 in a few months, what then?

There will be feedback from every side of the community and problems will be identified. security vulnerabilities will be found and workflow problems will occur. What will happen then? The question must be asked if MyBB has the capacity to handle all these problems and work on them as fast as possible. If this question is answered with "No", one should be sensible and quit MyBB 1.9. If this question is answered with "Yes" you should ask the next question: Is the team even motivated enough to work on MyBB 1.9? At the moment I can't see anything about "motivation".
Stop whining about no progress being made. There is one main bottleneck right now, which is rebasing and unfortunately only one team member is working on it, that doesn't mean the others won't be available to fix future issues popping up with widespread usage. They will be handled much like as they have been for 1.8 (a release every two-three months with dozens of fixes each minor version).

1.8 is stable and you can pretty much achieve everything with it. The theming system is not ideal (that's why 1.9 exists), but it's definitely enough to push your theme to whatever you like, there are also plenty of pre-made responsive themes you can choose from. If you don't have the knowledge or the will to use it properly, neither will you with 1.9 which adds an additional layer of complexity; nothing much will change for you with 1.9 so please, just relax and enjoy what you already have. 1.9 will come eventually.
(2020-10-18, 03:49 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]Stop whining about no progress being made. There is one main bottleneck right now, which is rebasing and unfortunately only one team member is working on it, that doesn't mean the others won't be available to fix future issues popping up with widespread usage. They will be handled much like as they have been for 1.8 (a release every two-three months with dozens of fixes each minor version).

1.8 is stable and you can pretty much achieve everything with it. The theming system is not ideal (that's why 1.9 exists), but it's definitely enough to push your theme to whatever you like, there are also plenty of pre-made responsive themes you can choose from. If you don't have the knowledge or the will to use it properly, neither will you with 1.9 which adds an additional layer of complexity; nothing much will change for you with 1.9 so please, just relax and enjoy what you already have. 1.9 will come eventually.

oh yes, it is clear that such a statement is constantly coming. It only comes "stop the crying". I think there is one thing you are not aware of or you just ignore it:

Many people are using MyBB and have long been thinking about replacing it with other forum software.  They didn't do this because every 3-6 months a statement comes up that MyBB 2.0 (or meanwhile MyBB 1.9) is coming.  The community will be disappointed and the forum operators of MyBB might lose many important users because the software is just not up to date anymore. 

Just the fact that MyBB 1.9 will use the Template Engine Twig is worth much more than the current template engine (none available). So please don't tell me that it is completely ok to work with MyBB 1.8 in 2020. This is simply not true. I don't use MyBB myself, but I think about the community and I think about development, where it is also fun to work on the source code of the software in the future.

If more people leave, there will be no more plugin developers here. And without plugin developers or good theme designers, the community is dead. That is my opinion. Accept it, delete it, or give me an ignorant answer again. Your decision Wink
You’re not using MyBB so you have no idea what it’s like to work with 1.8 and 1.9. This should be enough for everyone to ignore your answer.
(2020-10-20, 08:42 AM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]You’re not using MyBB so you have no idea what it’s like to work with 1.8 and 1.9. This should be enough for everyone to ignore your answer.

I think you underestimate me a bit Wink

But since you have absolutely no idea yourself, your answer can be ignored by everyone else.

I am removing myself from the community here because of ignorant people like you.

Nevertheless I wish you the best for the future.
Many have suggested this before, but I think I will echo an idea that some other users have brought to the table. What are our short/long term plans for the 1.8.x branch?

MyBB is bleeding users and has been for a long time. It's largely because forums/communities have changed so much and have modernized in an entirely different direction over the past decade. To me, it's sad. I love MyBB to death. It's the only open source software that is so customizable it can be made to look like almost anything, and the decline of forums in general has taken its toll in many ways in recent years.

And I know I will sound like a broken record here, but the #1 reason people have turned to other softwares (phpBB especially) is because of the responsiveness. It really, truly is a big concern. It's not because the default theme itself is important (nobody ever uses the default theme on any software, ever. That's always the very first thing to get changed. Toungue). But the problem is that every single theme on the mod site today is based on it. Because of that, very few of them are responsive. Only a handful exist, and most of them are paid themes and I'm not sure if many users are aware of how to even find them.

I know others have brought this idea to the table before, but I still believe it's worthwhile to mention. Have we thought about making a 1.8.25 release that is exactly the same as 1.8.24, with no other difference than to include a secondary responsive theme right out of the box? This wouldn't replace 1.9, per se (we still need 1.9 to bring us forward), but this would buy us some time and allow a plethora of modern, responsive themes to enter the mod database in the meantime.

Just my two cents,
-Darth
(2020-10-18, 03:49 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]Stop whining about no progress being made. (...)

(2020-10-22, 04:56 AM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ](...) MyBB is bleeding users and has been for a long time. (...)

(...), but the #1 reason people have turned to other softwares (phpBB especially) is because of the responsiveness. It really, truly is a big concern. It's not because the default theme itself is important (nobody ever uses the default theme on any software, ever. That's always the very first thing to get changed. Toungue). But the problem is that every single theme on the mod site today is based on it. Because of that, very few of them are responsive. Only a handful exist, and most of them are paid themes and I'm not sure if many users are aware of how to even find them.

Hi all,

both are right. I can't complain about something that's free, but there's a (big) problem with MyBB right now, and it's the lack of an official responsive theme. In March 2021 Google wil index first the mobile versions of the webs:
https://www.slashgear.com/google-search-mobile-first-indexing-is-delayed-to-2021-22630266/

I know there are free and paid responsive themes, but we need an official one, because one theme creator could be bored of updating it and now it has errors, or whatever reason you want to think. The official one from MyBB could avoid the change of some forums to another forum software (and I saw changing a lot of them, some real big ones).

TL/DR:
F#ck 1.9, give us an official responsive theme (please  Wink )