MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The monthly updates were helpful, while they lasted.
Any new updates? progress?
(2021-01-12, 04:50 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]At this point I'd like to know what's the benefit of waiting for 1.9x vs switching to a software that's already responsive and has plugins ready to go? 

I stopped waiting for MyBB 1.9x. I stopped justifying continuing use of MyBB for my websites.
After reading over and over the same canned responses... "MyBB 1.9x will be released when it's ready...", I moved onto a different forum software and I haven't looked back.

(2021-01-12, 04:50 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Let's say you're a MyBB Admin and you have a site with plugins and custom template.  When 1.9x comes out will you do the work to fix your templates and plugins?  It's almost surely a similar amount of work to convert to another forum software. 

Has anyone on the MyBB team really thought this out at this point? 

Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that seeing the same excuses for 3 years is not doing MyBB forum software any favors.

People will tune out those excuses and start analyzing the situation for themselves... "Am I going to be waiting another 3 years for MyBB 1.9x?" "Will waiting for MyBB 1.9x benefit or harm my website?"

Those are the 2 main questions that all Admins ask themselves when they evaluate the current state of MyBB forum software.

(2021-01-12, 04:50 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]btw, this thread is now over 3 years old.  This just breaks my heart because I was really pushing to have 1.9x simply an update that incorporated a responsive theme by default and it's somehow been a much bigger update.  One that is now really obvious more than the MyBB team can find time to accomplish. 

Twig, Composer, Swiftmailer, Alerts, and Conversations are all additions almost no one cares about. 

Twig is probably the only real upgrade requirement to help facilitate a responsive theme.

I'm sure my post will be considered discouraging.  Well, I consider discouraging waiting over 5 years for a responsive theme by default. 

Meh. Best of luck to the Admins who are waiting on this.  Hope you're not holding your breath.

I take your post as being realistic with a touch of annoyance in terms of the 'waiting game' that we all have been suckered into in anticipation of the release of MyBB 1.9x.
hopefully one day,

cant wait for it
(2021-03-02, 05:24 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]I stopped waiting for MyBB 1.9x. I stopped justifying continuing use of MyBB for my websites.
After reading over and over the same canned responses... "MyBB 1.9x will be released when it's ready...", I moved onto a different forum software and I haven't l

I been considering launching a forum here soon, already got hosting. 

The problem is I really want to use MyBB because I know it much more then any other forum software but I fear that MyBB won't be around much longer at this rate. 

So I got a few options. 

1. MyBB and hope it remains updated and stays around and work around all these buggy plugins because nobody is updating them anymore due to 1.9 anticipation.

2. phpBB which has already had modern features for years now including responsive and built in alerts and also is well known to be very secure out of the box and is always getting updates. Just maybe slightly harder to work on and I prefer the MyBB theme system. 

or cough up money for a paid option.
(2021-03-02, 05:24 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-12, 04:50 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]At this point I'd like to know what's the benefit of waiting for 1.9x vs switching to a software that's already responsive and has plugins ready to go? 

I stopped waiting for MyBB 1.9x. I stopped justifying continuing use of MyBB for my websites.
After reading over and over the same canned responses... "MyBB 1.9x will be released when it's ready...", I moved onto a different forum software and I haven't looked back.

(2021-01-12, 04:50 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Let's say you're a MyBB Admin and you have a site with plugins and custom template.  When 1.9x comes out will you do the work to fix your templates and plugins?  It's almost surely a similar amount of work to convert to another forum software. 

Has anyone on the MyBB team really thought this out at this point? 

Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that seeing the same excuses for 3 years is not doing MyBB forum software any favors.

People will tune out those excuses and start analyzing the situation for themselves... "Am I going to be waiting another 3 years for MyBB 1.9x?" "Will waiting for MyBB 1.9x benefit or harm my website?"

Those are the 2 main questions that all Admins ask themselves when they evaluate the current state of MyBB forum software.

(2021-01-12, 04:50 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]btw, this thread is now over 3 years old.  This just breaks my heart because I was really pushing to have 1.9x simply an update that incorporated a responsive theme by default and it's somehow been a much bigger update.  One that is now really obvious more than the MyBB team can find time to accomplish. 

Twig, Composer, Swiftmailer, Alerts, and Conversations are all additions almost no one cares about. 

Twig is probably the only real upgrade requirement to help facilitate a responsive theme.

I'm sure my post will be considered discouraging.  Well, I consider discouraging waiting over 5 years for a responsive theme by default. 

Meh. Best of luck to the Admins who are waiting on this.  Hope you're not holding your breath.

I take your post as being realistic with a touch of annoyance in terms of the 'waiting game' that we all have been suckered into in anticipation of the release of MyBB 1.9x.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - do you have any actual constructive suggestions or proposals on what we do instead?

Say we give a release date for 1.9 of the 1st of June. If we get to the 31st of May and it's not ready, what would you prefer we did? Do we release it in a buggy state, because we promised everyone it'd be released on the 1st of June? Or do we push the date back, which would just annoy everyone because we didn't commit to the date? Take Cyberpunk 2077 as an example, it was delayed like 3 times, and when it was released it was full of bugs and ran like a*s on a PS4, because it wasn't finished.

Short of people working throughout the night and over the weekends alongside their jobs, I don't know what else we're supposed to do. People have floated the idea of raising money to pay people, but this is a community that doesn't want to pay $5 for a plugin because the software is free, so good luck with that. My freelance chargeout rate is $55/hr, I wouldn't expect that to work on MyBB, but if people have bills to pay and have some free time, it's always going to be hard to get people to give up their time to contribute without significant financial incentives which we just don't have.

I know it's a lot easier to complain the development is slow instead of offering anything constructive, but the problem has always been and remains to be that we physically don't have enough development contribution to push a release any faster than we do now, and the only way that'll ever change is if we find more people willing to contribute.

So do you have any suggestions on what you think we should do? I'd be happy to hear them.
(2021-03-02, 04:15 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]I've said it before but I'll say it again - do you have any actual constructive suggestions or proposals on what we do instead?

Say we give a release date for 1.9 of the 1st of June. If we get to the 31st of May and it's not ready, what do we do? Do we release it in a buggy state, because we promised everyone it'd be released on the 1st of June? Or do we push the date back, which would just annoy everyone because we didn't commit to the date? Take Cyberpunk 2077 as an example, it was delayed like 3 times, and when it was released it was full of bugs and ran like a*s on a PS4, because it wasn't finished.

Short of people working throughout the night and over the weekends alongside their jobs, I don't know what else we're supposed to do. People have floated the idea of raising money to pay people, but this is a community that doesn't want to pay $5 for a plugin because the software is free, so good luck with that. My freelance chargeout rate is $55/hr, I wouldn't expect that to work on MyBB, but if people have bills to pay and have some free time, it's always going to be hard to get people to give up their time to contribute without significant financial incentives which we just don't have.

I know it's a lot easier to complain the development is slow instead of offering anything constructive, but the problem has always been and remains to be that we physically don't have enough development contribution to push a release any faster than we do now, and the only way that'll ever change is if we find more people willing to contribute.

So do you have any suggestions on what you think we should do? I'd be happy to hear them.

Why do the contribution method? Why make any attempt to raise money?
As you stated clearly, people for whatever reason are not inclined to donate/contribute. That is a waste of time and effort.

However, if the "Powers to be" of MyBB would make MyBB forum software a PAID forum software, then people will be inclined to pay for software that will be more likely to be updated/upgraded on more of a regular basis because the MyBB team now have a financial incentive to work on the software. Right now, short of personal incentives, the MyBB team really don't have much incentive to push out update/upgrades on a regular basis because there are no consequences if nothing happens.

Yes, I know this suggestion is controversial, but aside from anyone having a better idea, this is the best I can suggest.

Yes, people (Admins) will raise a big fuss if the decision was made to make MyBB forum software PAID, but there are compromises that can be made.
Make 2 versions of MyBB, one FREE and one PAID. Obviously, the PAID version will get more attention and faster updates/upgrades than the FREE version will.
However, doing it this way will encourage Admins who are still using the FREE version to consider going over to the PAID version if they see that the MyBB team is really working on the paid version.

The paid version of MyBB can be priced lower than the other PAID software out there to attract potential Admins who are looking for forum software that gets a lot of attention from a development team.

Even a yearly fee of $100 USD/year is far cheaper than most, if not all, paid forum software that I have seen. That comes out to about $8.33 USD/month.
Any of the Extends, Themes, and other add-ons will still be handled by the respective developers/authors, that way the MyBB team can focus just on the core software of MyBB.

Just my measly 2 cents.
The problem is I really want to use MyBB because I know it much more then any other forum software but I fear that MyBB won't be around much longer at this rate. 

[/quote]

Will be MyBB over there in the next couple of years or not is purelly speculation without any base.
Same threads are all over the place
"If phpbb is dead? "
"If SMF is dead?"
"If any free forum software is dead?"

Want to go for the best as it stands right now?
Go for Flarum.
Myselft I'd rather stick to the devil I know, Besides after all the work I've done my forum tickes nearly all the boxes for the next couple of years.
Whatever happens after all that time we just wait and see.
(2021-03-02, 07:03 PM)Alhimika Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is I really want to use MyBB because I know it much more then any other forum software but I fear that MyBB won't be around much longer at this rate. 

Will be MyBB over there in the next couple of years or not is purelly speculation without any base.
Same threads are all over the place
"If phpbb is dead? "
"If SMF is dead?"
"If any free forum software is dead?"

Want to go for the best as it stands right now?
Go for Flarum.
Myselft I'd rather stick to the devil I know, Besides after all the work I've done my forum tickes nearly all the boxes for the next couple of years.
Whatever happens after all that time we just wait and see.
[/quote]
phpBB is actively developed, the thing about phpBB is they don't have to push nowhere near as much security releases as compared to MyBB because phpBB is simply a more secure platform out of the box and also out of the box it is responsive and has basics like alerts built in already so they don't really need to rush for phpBB 4 because as it sits phpBB 3.3.3 is good to go. 

SMF is pretty much dead but it does have new management now so we will see where that goes but I wouldn't launch a forum using it as it stands now. 

Flarum is still in Beta and has been since like 2017 so I would be hesitant to use Flarum on a main project although I do love how it is setup.
(2021-03-02, 03:33 PM)Furious Wrote: [ -> ]or cough up money for a paid option.

Seems like you got plenty of options, two of them free open source options, lucky you Smile