MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-03-23, 07:23 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]phpBB has a free BS5 theme.
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2404406
That looks pretty cool, but it is for 3.2.8 they are at 3.3.3 now so that would need some updating.

To be honest the default theme on phpBB is pretty nice out of the box for a good base, Prosilver Dark edition is the best base in my opinion. ProFlat is another good base.
I've got a very large scale project I'm planning to use MyBB as the base for; It puts me in a difficult spot not knowing when 1.9 is going to be out, makes it hard for me to scale when to fully begin development for a number of reasons.

I truly hope you guys get things sorted out sooner than later. I've used MyBB for many years now after starting with SMF, I left SMF for MyBB but now I've had thoughts to leave MyBB for the likes of XenForo, or something similar. I don't however fully desire to do that, I'd very much rather stick around with the MyBB community and take part in pushing the boundaries and limits of MyBB to do exciting, and unique things with my community alongside other MyBB admins active here.

I'd love to see new management, I agree Labrocca would be very suiting for the position; or to take part at the very least.

As someone who plans to invest thousands of dollars into my platform using MyBB as the base, I really do hope there is more development from the community here. But no real complaints from me overall.

Cheers
One thing that does turn me off is that there are over 50 open pull requests on the repository. PHP 8 is one thing that apparently is holding back the 1.9 series. There was a pull request that fixed a bunch of these and was merged a couple months ago. This would have been before the last minor version release, yet the changes were not included in the last release. I wasted my own time solving PHP 8 issues in global.php only to find out that those changes were already applied in a different pull request. I'd like the chance to have my plugins have a branch that is written in PHP 8 to take advantage of the increased speed and named arguments for starters. Until the MyBB core is written as PHP 8 compliant, there is no point for me to do so.

The problem with having so many open pull requests is that by the time some of those requests get approved, conflicts arise due to files changing. This makes proposing changes harder because contributors should not have to look through open pull requests to update any files they might be using so there is no conflict. I believe having smaller, but more frequent pull requests would make this easier to deal with because there would be less to review on each individual request. As an example, maybe have a pull request that fixes PHP 8 issues in just 2 files rather than 84.
(2021-03-26, 10:47 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]One thing that does turn me off is that there are over 50 open pull requests on the repository. PHP 8 is one thing that apparently is holding back the 1.9 series. There was a pull request that fixed a bunch of these and was merged a couple months ago. This would have been before the last minor version release, yet the changes were not included in the last release. I wasted my own time solving PHP 8 issues in global.php only to find out that those changes were already applied in a different pull request. I'd like the chance to have my plugins have a branch that is written in PHP 8 to take advantage of the increased speed and named arguments for starters. Until the MyBB core is written as PHP 8 compliant, there is no point for me to do so.

The problem with having so many open pull requests is that by the time some of those requests get approved, conflicts arise due to files changing. This makes proposing changes harder because contributors should not have to look through open pull requests to update any files they might be using so there is no conflict. I believe having smaller, but more frequent pull requests would make this easier to deal with because there would be less to review on each individual request. As an example, maybe have a pull request that fixes PHP 8 issues in just 2 files rather than 84.

The last 3 releases (security patches only) didn't include the maintenance improvements on the feature branch - it looks like distinct states of latest released version and development branch caused the confusion.

I believe the Team+Contributors have various preferences when in comes to grouping Issues and PRs, but I personally agree with breaking them down to separate tickets on GitHub (usually, sneaking in unrelated minor corrections causes friction). The PHP 8 updates may be an unusual case that requires similar changes across the whole codebase.

Generally, the Open counts on GitHub are not expected to be close to 0 since many Issues document deferred or low-impact problems, long-term plans, involve open system design questions, etc. and some Pull Requests are open suggestions or may be picked up later for various reasons.

The queue of acceptable Pull Requests is indeed one of the main bottlenecks right now (1.9 should improve the process of manual tests with automated installation after checking out a PR).
I'd prefer for MyBB to not go the route of Xenforo. To explain what I'm talking about here's a bit of what my gripes with Xenforo are:

1. Replacing traditional PMs with "conversations"
2. AJAX and Javascript in unnecessary places.
3. A full on alert system. I prefer, as do many users of MyBB, more traditional notification systems.
4. Further feature creep on things that will really really complicate MyBB further.

The codebase getting simplified and upgraded for PHP 8 is a big thing, but even moreso the big one that should be in focus is Twig, nothing else.
@Raion, what do you mean with Xenforo alert system being "full on".?
(2021-03-27, 09:28 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]@Raion, what do you mean with Xenforo alert system being "full on".?

maybe he prefers it to be an extension or plugin as it is in mybb 1.8

Anyway, I also agree with the majority that after rebasing (1.8 rebase) and adding a template system, 1.9 should be released, with the feature already implemented and without any other features.

improvement or change of editor and alert system should be left out for now and develop after the launch of the initial version of 1.9 that could be implemented in 1.10
(2021-03-27, 12:40 AM)Raion Wrote: [ -> ]I'd prefer for MyBB to not go the route of Xenforo. To explain what I'm talking about here's a bit of what my gripes with Xenforo are:

1. Replacing traditional PMs with "conversations"
2. AJAX and Javascript in unnecessary places.
3. A full on alert system. I prefer, as do many users of MyBB, more traditional notification systems.
4. Further feature creep on things that will really really complicate MyBB further.

The codebase getting simplified and upgraded for PHP 8 is a big thing, but even moreso the big one that should be in focus is Twig, nothing else.
The current notification system is outdated and simply trash. This is 2021 not 2000

You cannot expect MyBB or any other forum software to continue into the future if it does not adopt modern standards. You really think people are going to want to check their email to see if someone replied to a post?. 

If I am not mistaken the alert system is already built into 1.9 so it would be counter productive to remove it. I am sure they can have an option for people to enable it or disable it if they want.
(2021-03-27, 03:37 PM)Furious Wrote: [ -> ]If I am not mistaken the alert system is already built into 1.9

this has not yet been implemented. it was predicted to be 1.10 anyway https://community.mybb.com/thread-215212.html .