MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-04-12, 09:00 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]I think it could be clearer the state of rebase progress.
many will look at the link below end up thinking that things stopped in time.
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3687

do not take this as criticism, it is just a suggestion to show the community that progress is being made in the development of 1.9.

You're not wrong. If he committed each version of the rebase as it came, it would absolutely show transparency.
(2021-04-11, 01:06 PM)NotAdmin Wrote: [ -> ]My biggest fear here is that myBB is going to become abandoned or close to deserted.  Whilst 1.9 is being developed, I'm sure there is little reason to attend to 1.8 other than security updates, but I think at this point I just want to see some attention to the software my forum actually uses.  It is becoming ever so tempting to migrate to phpBB 😔

This is not a criticism, just an observation, much of it with the benefit of hindsight so is unfair - I thank everybody who continues to develop the software and do hope that I will be eating my hat in future months (or years.. decades...?)
I would give it a little longer before migrating but I think 1.9 probably won't be released anytime soon and if it is it will probably takes years to even reach stable. 

I been working on a phpBB 3.3.3 theme, don't know if I will release it public or not. I will admit phpBB has a little bit of a learning curve when coming from MyBB to phpBB but that is the same both ways.

I recommend you at least install phpBB somewhere and experiment with it, test it and get the hang of it and decide from there, don't just immediately make the switch.

And if you are willing to pay for a theme PlanetStyles has some very nice styles that they keep up to date. The Milk style is amazing.
Hey Furious, as a sysadmin who made the switch from PHPBB to MyBB, lemme just tell you some of the things that made us get off it (This was 3.1 era, some things may be handled better now but I'm not sure)

1. It was not supporting PHP 7.2+ in a reasonable time scale. 7.3 was already released in beta by the time we switched.
2. There were issues with theming, especially with creating dark themes. These exist to some extent in MyBB but are not as bad overall.
3. We keep our site SSL agnostic (It can use HTTPS or HTTP - we have users who login from systems where their browsers don't support the TLS versions we use.) and it would regularly crash due to problems in the session table, causing me to have to run TRUNCATE routines regularly else the site would crash.
4. Unhelpful community.
5. GPL Licensing.

These were all factors. MyBB solved most of them, including the licensing (It's LGPL!)
(2021-04-13, 11:47 PM)Raion Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Furious, as a sysadmin who made the switch from PHPBB to MyBB, lemme just tell you some of the things that made us get off it (This was 3.1 era, some things may be handled better now but I'm not sure)

1. It was not supporting PHP 7.2+ in a reasonable time scale. 7.3 was already released in beta by the time we switched.
2. There were issues with theming, especially with creating dark themes. These exist to some extent in MyBB but are not as bad overall.
3. We keep our site SSL agnostic (It can use HTTPS or HTTP - we have users who login from systems where their browsers don't support the TLS versions we use.) and it would regularly crash due to problems in the session table, causing me to have to run TRUNCATE routines regularly else the site would crash.
4. Unhelpful community.
5. GPL Licensing.

These were all factors. MyBB solved most of them, including the licensing (It's LGPL!)
Well to address some of your concerns. 

1. It officially supports php 7.4, I am currently running 7.3 with no problems and for the most part other then some plugins it seems to be working with php 8.0 although not officially supported yet. 
2. I am creating a dark theme and so far its going smooth although I will admit it is a little more time consuming compared to MyBB. 
3. My installation seems to be working just fine using both http and https
4. They seem to be active helping people in the community. 
5. Doesn't really matter to me and probably the majority of people. 

They are at 3.3.3 now they did some major changes since 3.1.
(2021-04-14, 01:59 AM)Furious Wrote: [ -> ]Well to address some of your concerns. 

1. It officially supports php 7.4, I am currently running 7.3 with no problems and for the most part other then some plugins it seems to be working with php 8.0 although not officially supported yet. 
2. I am creating a dark theme and so far its going smooth although I will admit it is a little more time consuming compared to MyBB. 
3. My installation seems to be working just fine using both http and https
4. They seem to be active helping people in the community. 
5. Doesn't really matter to me and probably the majority of people. 

They are at 3.3.3 now they did some major changes since 3.1.

Don't misunderstand. I wasn't asking you to address any concerns. We're staying with MyBB for the long haul. I am pointing out that they seem to lag behind in PHP support. The SSL agnosticism was probably the biggest one - the session table getting overloaded was causing all kinds of issues. If it works for you, good for you. I personally have outlined what I expect of MyBB; when it stops delivering on that we will probably make our own direction... with blackjack and hookers as the kiddies say.
(2021-04-11, 02:31 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-04-11, 02:02 AM)Krytic Wrote: [ -> ]I understand that the team can't work on MyBB as if it's a full-time job, I really do. But 8+ years of neglect? And having a non-responsive, table-based design in 2021?

A slow development cycle doesn't equal neglect - that will happen when only about 3 people actively contribute to development. A modern, responsive, non-table-based design has already been completed - the last I was aware was the ACP needed some updates to be compatible with it, but again, that can only go so fast when you can count the number of active developers on one hand.

Yes, but 8 years ago there were significantly more active developers. I can't presume what happened to everyone (and I'm sure they left the project for legitimate reasons) but if active developers are the problem, perhaps heavy recruitment needs to happen. I get it's FOSS so non-team-members can contribute, but you can't just assume every end user wants to / can / will contribute code. I contributed code to 1.8 back in the day but now don't use PHP at all (Python + Julia + Fortran77 baby!).

(2021-04-11, 02:31 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]I believe 1.8 will soon move to security updates and major bug fixes only, and once Euan finishes rebasing the repo, all efforts will be on getting 1.9 finalised. It's closer than people think.

I get that this is a big task (both with the code size, and the number of pushes to main since 1.8's release), but the rebase has been talked about for 3 years. "It will be out soon" sounds like a hollow promise.
(2021-04-17, 06:57 AM)Krytic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-04-11, 02:31 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-04-11, 02:02 AM)Krytic Wrote: [ -> ]I understand that the team can't work on MyBB as if it's a full-time job, I really do. But 8+ years of neglect? And having a non-responsive, table-based design in 2021?

A slow development cycle doesn't equal neglect - that will happen when only about 3 people actively contribute to development. A modern, responsive, non-table-based design has already been completed - the last I was aware was the ACP needed some updates to be compatible with it, but again, that can only go so fast when you can count the number of active developers on one hand.

Yes, but 8 years ago there were significantly more active developers. I can't presume what happened to everyone (and I'm sure they left the project for legitimate reasons) but if active developers are the problem, perhaps heavy recruitment needs to happen. I get it's FOSS so non-team-members can contribute, but you can't just assume every end user wants to / can / will contribute code. I contributed code to 1.8 back in the day but now don't use PHP at all (Python + Julia + Fortran77 baby!).

Yes, I know - that's the point I was making. The number of active developers has significantly dropped from the 1.4 and even 1.6 era, which is a direct and obvious cause of a slower development cycle. phpBB doesn't suffer from the same issue as its larger market share means it has more appeal to developers to maintain. Heavy recruitment would be great but unfortunately it's not as simple as just finding a group of developers somewhere. Most developers don't want to work on such an ageing codebase considering all the modern frameworks the vast majority of PHP developers use these days, which is also part of the reason we're trying to modernise things.

(2021-04-17, 06:57 AM)Krytic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-04-11, 02:31 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]I believe 1.8 will soon move to security updates and major bug fixes only, and once Euan finishes rebasing the repo, all efforts will be on getting 1.9 finalised. It's closer than people think.

I get that this is a big task (both with the code size, and the number of pushes to main since 1.8's release), but the rebase has been talked about for 3 years. "It will be out soon" sounds like a hollow promise.

I can promise it's not a hollow one, just one with no known delivery date. Euan has been been drafting a blog post update about 1.9 this week I believe.
Meh, was gonna reply to a lot of the posts in the past couple months but I'm just here to say that I tried my best to reach Chris and I made him my offer and attempted at least to open a dialogue but he has not responded.

Also decided to share the contact I sent him.

Quote:This is Jesse LaBrocca, Hackforums.net and MyBBCentral.com owner.

Gonna take a shot in the dark and ask if you'd be interested in selling the MyBB project. Before you say no please keep in mind that I'd be a very suitable candidate to run the project. I'd at least love to know your reasons for not selling. I can think of a dozen good reasons for you to finally pass the torch but I won't make this initial contact long. I suspect I'll just get a short "no" reply but I hope we can have a better discussion about the possibility of this happening. Please consider it. I am certainly open to discussions about terms. My end goal is to take on the project, hire people, and push the project to new places. I believe the current state of MyBB is the lack of clear vision and leadership. Your absence is greatly felt by the community and the current leaders aren't passionate enough imho.

Thank you.
(2021-04-23, 05:51 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Meh, was gonna reply to a lot of the posts in the past couple months but I'm just here to say that I tried my best to reach Chris and I made him my offer and attempted at least to open a dialogue but he has not responded.

Also decided to share the contact I sent him. 

Quote:This is Jesse LaBrocca, Hackforums.net and MyBBCentral.com owner.

Gonna take a shot in the dark and ask if you'd be interested in selling the MyBB project.  Before you say no please keep in mind that I'd be a very suitable candidate to run the project.  I'd at least love to know your reasons for not selling.  I can think of a dozen good reasons for you to finally pass the torch but I won't make this initial contact long.  I suspect I'll just get a short "no" reply but I hope we can have a better discussion about the possibility of this happening.  Please consider it.  I am certainly open to discussions about terms.  My end goal is to take on the project, hire people, and push the project to new places. I believe the current state of MyBB is the lack of clear vision and leadership.  Your absence is greatly felt by the community and the current leaders aren't passionate enough imho.

Thank you.

Flogging a dead horse mate.  Rolleyes
Suggest contacting him publicy on twitter, where he (and his audience) will actually see it.