MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-09-28, 08:49 AM)Aoki Wrote: [ -> ]We gonna live on mars until this gets released

[Image: kekw-kek.gif]

This isn't very funny. It's just bizarre hyperbole.

(2021-09-10, 09:03 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]It has been 44 months since this thread started. Looking forward to the release one day.

It's been ages since you posted anything positive or remotely non-polemic. Projects get delayed all the time.

(2021-09-12, 04:31 PM)Vilicious Wrote: [ -> ]They were saying after 1.8.27 was released that more focus would be on 1.9.

And now it like it is back to square one, no updates on progress at all. 

I really feel MyBB is just at a dead end.

(2021-09-16, 03:14 AM)woostar Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any official update?

Setting a date for the first alpha might help focus and moving things along.

The MyBB community want to help test and debug 1.9 but there is nothing we can do. I want to believe in MyBB, but we need some feedback from official sources.

Both of you here have no idea how rebasing really works on github works.

You have to do it locally on your machine. Euan could fork the repo and commit it live on his own if he wanted to, though with how GIT works that's a painful process.

You can't just automate it. You can't just post/commit/push it constantly, because it'll be a jumbled mess. Git is partially to blame here, but also the fact that there was no communication between the devs working on the 1.8 branch and the 1.9 branch. If they had been incorporating 1.8.x fixes as they came, this would have been handled better.

(2021-09-20, 02:22 AM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]same comment from a few months ago...

https://community.mybb.com/thread-215211...pid1365878

I think it could be clearer the state of rebase progress.
many will look at the link below end up thinking that things stopped in time.
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3687

do not take this as criticism, it is just a suggestion to show the community that progress is being made in the development of 1.9.

I mean, transparency would be nice for some but I'm sure Euan and the others are busy. Making a whole lot of "nothing" statements like "It's still coming" doesn't inspire any better confidence. To go into onerous detail about code rebasing is going to get boring fast.

My view is pretty much the same: MyBB is not perfect, and it's not corporately backed like the proprietary trash Xenforo or VBulletin. PHPBB is more popular, but a shittier product. If they had a more comprehensive donation system to hire more staff, it's possible that things could be moving faster.

For now, my plan is to continue to wait for 1.9 -- if it doesn't come, then it doesn't come. I'll assemble a team for my website, and we'll migrate our templating to a new engine ourselves. Expensive, time consuming, and not preferred, but that's what we plan to do.
Patiently waiting
The rebase is complete and fully up to date. We're just working out an issue stopping us from pushing the changes.
Just a little note to update folks: the issues have been resolved and the rebase has been pushed. The develop/1.9 branch on the official mybb/mybb GitHub repository is now fully up to date with all commits up to and including those for the planned release of 1.8.28 on the 1.8 branch:

https://github.com/mybb/mybb/tree/develop/1.9
I believe that to give mybb a future you should have the basic free service for everything (as it has always been) but then also paid packages with additional services such as themes and plugins such as official galleries.
In this way mybb would have some money to give to those who decide to work on the project because if people have a small fee, they are more motivated to work ...
(2021-10-21, 12:31 AM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]Just a little note to update folks: the issues have been resolved and the rebase has been pushed. The develop/1.9 branch on the official mybb/mybb GitHub repository is now fully up to date with all commits up to and including those for the planned release of 1.8.28 on the 1.8 branch:

https://github.com/mybb/mybb/tree/develop/1.9

great news thanks for the notice.
Good job boys. You all deserve beer.
(2021-10-21, 10:01 AM)Ricsca Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that to give mybb a future you should have the basic free service for everything (as it has always been) but then also paid packages with additional services such as themes and plugins such as official galleries.
In this way mybb would have some money to give to those who decide to work on the project because if people have a small fee, they are more motivated to work ...

There has been some discussion about adding support for commercial plugins/themes to the Extend part of the forums, but it was a little while back and hasn't resolved yet. A few objections/issues were raised. [Edit: also, check out the discussion on Issue Bounties & Funding, which has just been revived, and feel free to say your piece there.]

Also: there's not a lot of demand for paid plugins. I have one myself which I thought would be reasonably successful as it's a highly requested feature (conversation-style private messaging), but after over a year, I've made only a handful of sales. Talking with another paid plugin developer for MyBB, it sounds like this is typical. To make money from MyBB, it seems custom plugins are the way to go, but I'm not sure how much of a living you can make out of even that.

Maybe it's better for commercial themes. There might be more demand there, but I don't know.
Cheers martec and Raion: I'll drink to that.
Thanks for the good news ! Smile