MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MyBB is plenty reliable -- if you bought IPB or Xen you obviously need something beyond a basic, fast forum.
I chose MyBB in 2010 because I was on a free hosted forum and needed to take control. My forum was and still is for people with a health problem, I needed to have it for free as it was my promise to make the forum free to all those that use it. I looked at phpBB but decided MyBB was better and it said "Free never tasted so good" I felt they wanted the same as me.

Yes of course I have not always been happy, but if MyBB started charging I would have to change my software as it wouldn't fit my ethos of giving for free to others.

1.9 has been in the making a long (probably too long) time and I won't be switching to it for at least a year before it gets to it's first stable release, it's free and it will have problems if it does eventually get going but to start talking about making money is the wrong way to go as it will go against the point of how it started out.

Like most I'm not happy that we have never had a stable responsive official version, that may come with 1.9 if it ever gets there and I can't help thinking it will be outdated when it does. But to me the whole point of MyBB is it's free for people like me running a forum that is not interested in money, and I mean no offence, but if anyone's forum is money driven then you should be paying for your software.

I'm 11 years in with MyBB and I'm sticking with 1.8 it works for me and my members and it's free, I/we appreciate what others have given us. It may not always be exactly what we want but I would walk tomorrow if charges came in for using it.

Keep MyBB free, it's why I chose it. I can't help with the making of it, but as an end user I understand the need to offer something for free for others to use. I will never accept money to use my forum, that's what the scammers do to people with health problems but I live with that health problem and want to help others. Just like those at MyBB want to do, no it's not great but it is free "And it never tasted so good"
(2021-07-18, 05:31 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-07-18, 12:27 PM)Wazzyl Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-07-14, 10:03 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 would suggest it's a major change in the codebase, which it isn't, it's just an evolution of the 1.x branch. Version numbers aren't dictated by the length of time between releases. If anything, after the issues we had in the past about 2.0 requiring all new plugins and themes, calling 1.9 2.0 would if anything make it sound like a larger upgrade than it is, and put people off upgrading to it.

Also, we'd only released 1.6.3 a decade ago, 1.9 hasn't been in development quite that long!

so then it's possible to use the old themes from what I understand from the new 2.0 version?

The next version is 1.9 not 2.0, and themes won’t be compatible as we are upgrading to a more modern template and styling system.

I saw the mistake I mean 1.8 to 1.9 LOL
Welcome to 2022 everyone.

Any new updates for 1.9? it's been a while.
(2022-01-24, 01:03 AM)Vilicious Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to 2022 everyone.

Check the progress on the GitHub repo! https://github.com/mybb/mybb Smile
(2022-01-24, 02:27 PM)Lewis L Wrote: [ -> ]

No progress on there.
(2022-01-25, 12:08 AM)Vilicious Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-01-24, 02:27 PM)Lewis L Wrote: [ -> ]

No progress on there.

https://github.com/mybb/mybb/tree/dev-1.9

Some updates from 3 months ago, be patient Big Grin
Do you think there are any chances for MyBB 1.9 to appear in 2022? Smile
(2022-02-07, 10:19 AM)Pecetowicz Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think there are any chances for MyBB 1.9 to appear in 2022? Smile

I doubt it at this point.
(2022-02-07, 10:19 AM)Pecetowicz Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think there are any chances for MyBB 1.9 to appear in 2022? Smile

nope. just use v1.8 or switch platform. dont put too much expectation on this project.. 

fact, many forum software is dying out there.. just look at vbulletin and ipb..

or hired someone who can make like reddit,quora,or discord base community chat Big Grin